Need help choosing primer for kitchen cabinets

jenesOctober 9, 2010

I started off using Zinsser BIN for a primer on my kitchen cabinets (after cleaning and sanding), but it dries within seconds, which makes it hard for me to apply evenly. I had used it successfully painting paneling, but with the cabinets, the slightest uneveness shows through. I've gotten better with some practice, but I think I'd rather try to find a primer that's easier to work with.

I see that Zinsser 1-2-3 is recommended for cabinets, but is there any concern with using a water-based primer on the cabinets? I don't know exactly what's on them now. I would call it generically "varnish", since it's not paint, but I don't use that word in any technical sense.

I also see people using BM Fresh Start, but there are all different kinds. Assuming water-based is okay, I would guess that Acrylic Superior Primer (046) would be best?

My cabinets are dark brown, so in addition to getting a good bond, something that's good for hiding would be a plus.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

I also see people using BM Fresh Start, but there are all different kinds. Assuming water-based is okay, I would guess that Acrylic Superior Primer (046) would be best?

You got it!

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 6:30PM
jenes

Thanks! I wish the guy at the paint store had mentioned that there were different kinds when I asked about it, but at least I haven't opened it so I can exchange it.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 6:04AM
forboystoo

When I was at BM the guy there recommended Fresh Start Alkyd for my cabinets..
There's also a new one from Zinsser called Smart Prime which is water based..
Any one tried it yet ???

jenes I know BM store sells this also .If you get a chance ask the paint guy what he thinks of Smart Prime...

Thx

Here is a link that might be useful: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb053/is_10_14/ai_n39357129/

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™