err on the side of too wide or too narrow for pulls?

ncdelFebruary 4, 2013

I have been looking at pulls & knobs for what feels like forever & just decided on Schaub Siena finally and ordered samples to figure out what size on which drawers...
BUT I have discovered they only come in 4 inch or 8 inch. I have a few drawers that are about 16" wide. I'm stuck- the 4 inch looks really itty bitty on there and the 8 inch seems like it could be overpowering but I still lean toward the 8 b/c the 4 just looks so small.

Another option was doing an oval knob instead of a pull on those drawers...they are symmetrical (one on either side of my stove/cooktop in the kitchen and one on either side of the sink in the basement wet bar)... might mix it up a little I guess but the cabinets below those drawers will have round knobs.

Thoughts???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
babushka_cat

See my picture below. The drawers in that picture are 19.5" across from inset edge to edge and I used (1) 4 inch pull on each. Feels fine and looks good IRL. I think 4" would be too big.

I doubled them up for a wider drawer (30 inches wide)

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 8:22PM
breezygirl

How do the 4" pulls FEEL in your hand? I have a few of that size and find them pretty small. I'm not sure I'd want them all over my kitchen. My 6" and 8" pulls are much easier to use. YMMV.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 8:43PM
quiltgirl

YMMV=?

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 8:58PM
angela12345

Your mileage may vary

My advice is definitely to err on the side of too narrow. And, I don't think 4" is too narrow, certainly not for a 16" drawer.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:06PM
badgergal

My kitchen has a more contemporary vibe so I went with various sizes of pulls on all my cabinets and drawers. I love having wider pulls so easy to get any size hand around them. Just to help you visualize here are a couple pictures of my pulls.
This first picture is a 6-1/2 inch pull on a 13 inch drawer:

Here is a 10 inch pull on a 18 inch drawer:

This post was edited by badgergal on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 21:14

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:06PM
breezygirl

YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 12:35AM
may_flowers

The drawer stack next to my fridge is 16" and the pull is 5 1/2". The Siena is actually 3 3/4", but I would go with that before I'd use an 8".

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 10:50AM
ncdel

Thanks all...I ended up deciding to do an oval knob on both those drawers, thought it made things a little more interesting and solved my debate b/c I was just not loving the smaller pull on there. I agree the small ones are too small... I'm only using them on 4 narrow drawers on my island & using the oval knob on the top drawer of each 3 drawer stack so that will be sort of consistent anyway.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 7:54PM
lilymila

I think big pulls give a more contemporary look although Schaub Siena is very traditional.

This post was edited by lilymila on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 1:05

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 1:02AM
More Discussions
Very cool island sink with retractable faucet
Has anyone seen this Sink by Blanco? It is made to...
Dietitian
Sealing Slate ... Color Change Typical?
We are considering a 4" square silver-gray tumbled...
Jodi_SoCal
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
My new backsplash (nat cherry cabinets, dakota mahogany granite)
Hi everyone, it's been a long time since i've posted...
catamount90
Kitchen layout...make better use of current space and expand storage!
I'm hoping to get a few ideas on how to improve the...
rowan1099
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™