help me paint this room

emdduttonOctober 31, 2012

Please help! I painted the cabinets and the stools to update the original 80's era oak look. Now I'm feeling like the wall color needs an update too but I'm not sure where to go with it. The color pictured here is BM Avon Green. It's a very open floor plan with the Avon Green continued from the stairs to the front door on a very vaulted wall. BM's Blond Wood and Barely Beige are adjacent.

How would you paint this room? A lighter shade of green? Maybe a red to orangey-red?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

I'd think about lightening the color to maybe BM kittery point green....I think the green is lovely.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 4:54PM
graywings123

If it were my house, I would not do red or orange-red; I don't think I would like that with the wood doors behind the table.

Personally, I like the green that's there now. If you are looking to freshen the room, you could add curtains or valances to the windows and change out the light fixture over the table.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 5:25PM
mrm54

I would keep the green especially if it is not old paint. If you want red or orange-red, I would put up a valance that had those colors plus just a touch of a green that goes with the current color. I also like the idea of painting just one accent wall a lighter shade of the same green you have now.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 6:12PM
mrm54

BTW, I am in total agreement with changing the light fixture. I also believe the bottom of the fixture is supposed to be somewhere around 30 inches above the table top, yours looks a tad too high:)

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 6:15PM
More Discussions
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
How to fix this problem
We bought a new home and waited the recommended year...
pg57
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™