Sherwin Williams Duration Paint Smell

pammysue52September 25, 2010

I'm wondering if anyone who has painted with Duration paint has noticed noticed a lingering smell after a few weeks? It is a very noticeable strong woodsy-chemical smell, if that makes any sense. It actually gives me a headache! It seems more noticeable on the wall where I painted with quart samples to test colors. How do I get rid of it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clg7067

I used it for my exterior trim and didn't notice anything. I tested it on some inside trim and didn't like the rough finish and lack of sheen, so I didn't use it inside.

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 2:04PM
pammysue52

Thank you for responding! I haven't heard of anyone else commenting on the odor of Duration, but it does have a distinct smell. I hope it goes away soon! I also wasn't impressed with the paint as far as applying it. It spattered alot, and yes it does have a rough finish. Maybe I will try Aura for my bathroom.

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 6:50PM
andyolivia_juno_com

I painted two rooms with Duration and I can hardly bring myself to go in those rooms. The paint smells like mold and mildew. I painted other rooms with the cheaper Quali-coat from sherwin williams and no smell. I will add that I painted the rooms over a year ago and still the walls are smelly. Not worth the price!!

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 12:17PM
kevin_jm

I have the same problem at home, just painted one entire wall, smell started weeks after painting and will not relent, will be registering a formal complaint to our local body.

Is there a home remedy for this?

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 8:34PM
Jumpilotmdm

Old Indian trick. Add vanilla extract to the paint next time.
And DON'T use exterior paint inside.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 8:11PM
green046

I experienced the same woody smell. I don't mind the smell of drying paint, but something about this woody smell I can't stand.

I'm concerned about the postings that say the smell was still there a year later. I'll have to wait and see. I've been having my garage door open with a fan running all day.

I just bought my house, It's brand new. First time the garage was ever painted. I have used some other products and never had any smell issues.

This post was edited by green046 on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 9:29

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 12:00AM
gfjbthllr

Well sorry hard lesson learned some of the chemicals they put in the government does not force them to put on the can cause they say it is essential for the paint and maybe the off gases are going to be there a long time infestigate the company and insist to get all the ingrdients they put in the paint even the ones they did not list on the label on the can then research on your own about those chemical to see how damaging they are to you and the enviorment and if they are try to get your money back plus all the labor you did plus have them charged for tearing it all down and replacing the possble poisonous surface that was contaminated cause that off gas is not normal for such a lond period of time polyurethane does that and it is bad for your liver that is why I try not to use it

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 1:38AM
geoff_nc

We used the SW Duration interior matte finish in a large family room and the smell was lingering (at times quite overbearing) for some 12 weeks until we were able to fully air out the odor by opening all the windows in the house and running the ceiling fan in the painted room. That was something we did as much as the weather permitted this winter. We also let the furnace fan run during this airing-out time (without heat). Thankfully it is pretty well dissipated now. I won't chance using it again.

This post was edited by geoff_nc on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 17:21

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Valspar Paints formula change-not good
I'm a prior user/recommender of Valspar paints (e.g....
tbriggs
BM Satin Impervo Waterborne discontinued. Replacement?
I went to purchase this today and discovered it had...
jellytoast
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™