gophers, moles, voles

sammy zone 7 TulsaOctober 8, 2006

I cannot poison the earth, so I must put my roses in cages. So many people around here laugh at me, but I am so afraid that another animal might get the poison. I also have a problem poisoning animals. The poisons don't work immediately, they first make the critters sick, and after a few days they die.

Am I alone on this?

Sammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dobesrule

I grow hostas and have had problems with voles. I have solved it for the most part by using baited mouse traps placed next to their tunnel and putting a flower pot over them to keep other critters from getting into the traps and by planting the hosta in 3-5 gallon nursery stock pots with the bottoms cut out to protect the root systems. You can also drill a 1" hole in a plastic container to hold poison bait. Most non-target critters can't get to it. I have found tho that the more of them I get dug up and potted the less traps and bait I have to use. I don't mind that the voles get snuffed at all but I don't want anything else getting hurt or killed.

Lisa

Bookmark   October 8, 2006 at 5:29PM
karyn1

We have a small farm where we grow flowers and herbs. The groundhogs and other critters wreak havoc but I just deal with it. I could never bring myself to kill any of them, especially with poison. I won't even use insecticides on my plants. We do use electrified fences to keep the deer out but it doesn't stop the rabbits and burrowing animals. Not killing anything is a personal choice and I can understand why others feel that it's necessary to eliminate garden pests.

Bookmark   October 8, 2006 at 9:22PM
savannarose

Check out vole control at Andre Viette's site. He runs a nursery/mail order business in the Shenandoah Valley and has had lots of vole damage in the past. Has some good advice for control.

Bookmark   October 10, 2006 at 8:11AM
Meghane

My neighbor's kitties took care of my vole problem. They moved away and the voles came back for a while. Now there is a large blacksnake living in my yard, and the voles are gone again. I still get ocassional kitty visitors, but not as regularly as from my neighbor's cats. I really loved having them patrolling my garden. They were super friendly too and would stop by just for a petting session on my garden bench. Probably the only person in the world who didn't freak out with outdoor cats in my garden. It's worth a little poop clean up so I can keep my plants.

Bookmark   October 10, 2006 at 4:01PM
kendal

I use a product that makes voles sick to their stomach(caastor oil pellets) and they move away, but I am tired of fighting them and the mountain beavers, so I'm learning what they like and what they don't and I don't replace the plants they go after. I have hostas, and late winter I'm going to move them into a whole that is surrounded by chicken wire. I heard this helps if they can't get to the bulb from below then the give up. I don't like killing anything, and making them sick isn't something I like to do either, so I try natural ways. Their tunnels I also fill back up with gravel as they don't seem to like to tunnel through it. It all helps slow them down, and maybe some year they will give up and move on to easier pickings *G*

Bookmark   October 10, 2006 at 4:24PM
dobesrule

If you are using what we call chicken wire around here the those holes are too large and the dang voles can still get thru it. I tried using hardwarecloth. Effective but hard to cut. The nursery stock pots have worked the best for me. Three to five gallon size with the bottoms cute out. Most of the nurseries around here will give them to you.

Lisa

Bookmark   October 11, 2006 at 7:22AM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

I have 250 large rose bushes, and we use hardware cloth. The squares are about 1/4 ". Around the rose bush we make a circle that is 12" deep and 4 ft. around. We leave about 1 inch above ground so they cannot get over it. You need pacience and good wire cutters for the hardware cloth, but it works.

Bookmark   October 11, 2006 at 7:50AM
dobesrule

Sammy I bet your yard is beautiful. I have a few roses but my yard is mostly shade so I have about 200 hostas.

Lisa

Bookmark   October 11, 2006 at 7:54PM
beeanne

I came across this little tidbit while searching vole and moles. Interesting site BTW.

Mole Control Options
All moles are classified as wild, nongame animals under North Carolina laws. No hunting or trapping seasons are set up for these animals, and they are subject to all applicable state laws and regulations. This means you can not kill a mole without requesting and receiving a permit from the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission. The reason is that several species of moles are becoming dangerously low in numbers, so the NCWRC moved to protect all mole species.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/voles.html

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 3:03PM
acorn

We have 90 to 100 inches of rain, we would live in a swamp if the gophers voles and moles didn't make draniage tunnels. I agree on on posion, my cats keep the populstion to a working level.

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 4:46PM
jemdandy

There is a little known effect to poisioning mice, rats, and voles, and that is the inadvertent sickening and/or loss of cats and other animals that prey on these. When a rat or mouse becomes sick from poison, it travels away from its home to die.

I once lived on a farm and our nearest neighbor was 1/4 mile away, yet we lost cats to his rat poison. He had no cats; We kept a bunch of barn cats and these controlled the rodents. When his barn became infested with mice, he put out poison. We saw sickend mice crawling at least 3/16 of a mile from his barn, and a few our our cats found and ate some of these poisened mice and died.

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 5:19AM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

There is a product that will kill the varmit, and not the secondary animal, but I don't think it is a fast kill. I didn't believe that it would work, and called a number at the University of Oregon. She said that it kills the first animal by using a sort of "gas" that hits the blood stream. I asked what would happen if a dog or cat ate the animal that had eaten the product that turned to a gas. She said that as soon as the dog bit into the vein, the gas would dissipate, and not harm the dog.

This is ok with me if I can be positive the dog or cat wouldn't eat it in the first place. It is made by Hi Yield. I don't know how long it will remain poisonous in the ground. I simply don't like to use it.

Sammy

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 7:35AM
More Discussions
No declaw or no adoption
Here is another one to ponder... Do you think it is...
livvysmom
what if you were dating someone allergic to cats?
HI there. I have been dating a guy who is allergic...
vacuumfreak
Is it harmful for a big dog to be crated 9 hrs on a hard surface?
I understand that my kids have to work, and they do...
dustien
Advice needed regarding choosing a dog breed
We presently have a Beagle, who is very good with people...
ivamae
Putting to sleep a cat that pees outside the box
Now this will surely cause a debate but I am interested...
livvysmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™