Oil based paint with infant in house

bchowdaSeptember 15, 2012

Hello,

Today I used Kils Odorless Oil Based Primer on an enclosed porch in my home. I was taking precautions by opening windows and installing an out-facing box fan so I thought that I was being fairly safe. The front door to the house leads to this enclosed porch which I had shut, but after about an hour my wife complained about feeling nauseous and sleepy so I immediately cleaned everything up and stopped painting. After a while, I also felt dizzy and lost my appetite (I figured this would be the case for me since I was working directly with the material.)

However, it concerns me that my wife felt the effects of the paint from within the house. It REALLY concerns me that my wife was with our 4-month old baby at the time.

I immediately took the baby outside for a walk then opened up the entire house and turned on all the fans to get good ventilation. Then, my baby and I went next door and hung outside for the rest of the day. Tonight, she is sleeping at grandma's house.

During the day, she was acting completely fine with a great appetite and was very alert and seemed to have a great day. So, I am really not worried about the exposure that she might have already experienced for that hour this morning. However, I am wondering when you think it might be safe for her to come back home.

Remember, the paint is in an enclosed porch with open windows and a fan. But I know that toxic fumes can creep anywhere and I'm afraid that they are in the house and the baby shouldn't come back for a few days. I called poison control hotline and they said to bring her back once it is dry. But I am afraid it will still give off toxic fumes after it is dry as well. I should have never used it in the first place!

Thank you very much for your response!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

If you do not trust the people from the PCH, why would you trust any response here? You all will be and are just fine. Ditch the Kilz( probably no reason to use it in the first place)and get a quality acrylic primer and advise from a real paint store and not HD and of Lowes.ANY paint you apply is going to be somewhat toxic, so is carpet, wallpaper,the air,etc.

    Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 5:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

Unless you are abnormally sensitive to the chemical, there should be no ill effects if you are using the product as directed. The effects of any fumes have been tested at much higher levels than you would be exposed to.

It looks to me that that the child is the only individual that is not having a psychosomatic response to paint fumes.

    Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 2:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jumpilotmdm

Turn the radio off. Put the newspaper down and PAINT. You thinking that those affects were from the paint is all bunk. Stop being so paranoid. People have been living with paint fumes of all kinds for many years. Use common sense [which you appear to have already used, fans etc.] and PAINT.

    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bchowda

Thank you for the sensible/grounded responses everyone. Paranoid internet searches must be the number one cause of anxiety - gardenweb to the rescue.

    Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 11:21PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Valspar Paints formula change-not good
I'm a prior user/recommender of Valspar paints (e.g....
tbriggs
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
Mixing Paints & Colors
I know I shouldnt do it but I always do - mix paint...
kashka_kat
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™