Quartz vs Granite Large Slab

happsFebruary 11, 2013

I have a large kitchen island that I would like to get a quartz countertop for, but it requires a jumbo slab, which only a few companies make. Because of this, I've been told by some fabricators/installers that there will be a seam, but they laser cut it to where it's hardly visible. What's the straight scoop on seams in quartz countertops?

One countertop salesperson told me to consider granite because the price has come down a lot over the years and that some is already pre-sealed and if not, then just use a very high quality sealer to seal it and it's just as good as quartz. I've also been to granite remnant yards where they sell remnant slabs for $10/ft, but you are on your own for fabrication, transportation and installation. By the time you add up those costs, is it still a deal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tricia257

Just a word about quartz seams if you have to go that route.

I chose my fabricator based on their ability to do seams well. I have seen seams they have done where you can barely tell. Someone would have to point it out to you. I doubt you would notice right away, especially with quartz since most don't have the dramatic movement some granites have.

I know that one part of the process is that they vibrate or shake the one piece agaist the other for 30 min. I have seen some really lousy seams (chips, glue) over the years so I was willing to pay a little more for a nicer seam.

Good Luck

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 9:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happs

Thanks for your reply. I guess the choice of fabricator is especially crucial.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Do you like your Viscont White granite counters?
Like so many others, I lust over Calcutta gold marble...
Nan57
Review a friend's kitchen?
You all helped me tremendously in planning our kitchen...
camandann
Please help me find an eco-friendly black-and-white floor!?
After more years than I care to admit, we are finally...
dawdlinmama
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™