Painting the stairs - shoe marks & when do I remove tape??

SheeshareeIISeptember 2, 2010

I finally got to the "fun part" of painting the stair railings and treads. The prep, primer, and risers (painted white) are done.

I did the first coat of the brown (SW porch and floor enamel) last night. I was going to do the 2nd coat tonight but when I went to walk down I left sneaker prints on the top two treads, eek. Soo..... what do I do? I could try socks. I was going to try waiting until tomorrow to do the 2nd coat. The house temp. is set at 74 deg.

Either way, my stairs are royally taped up in two different types of frog tape. After the 2nd coat when do I take it off? I didn't think you were to wait until it dried completely. This is my first time trying the frog tape and I'm hoping it works like it's suppose to.

I'm hoping the 2nd coat of paint covers the shoe prints. It didn't dent the paint but you can see smudges.

The can says,

Recoat: 4 hours. I waited 24.

Light foot traffic: 24 hours

Tables, chairs, and heavy foot traffic: 7 days.

I was planning on waiting at least a month until we walked on it once all finished.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

This is pretty normal for paint that is not completely cured. I think on dark colors though, sneaker prints may always show up but you should be able to clean them off after full cure. Also remember that dark colors take longer to dry so that can be a contributing factor. The best time to pull tape is about 1/2 hour after painting is complete.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 11:45PM
SheeshareeII

"The best time to pull tape is about 1/2 hour after painting is complete."
. . . Maybe I should have painted every other step? I'm worried about the paint pulling off with the tape because I'm not going to be able to walk on them in a 1/2 hour. Good to know for the future though.

When should I attempt the second coat?

How long does it take paint to fully cure? A month?

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 9:04AM
paintguy22

Pulling tape half hour after painting is ideal, but it's not a big deal if you can't pull it until later either. You probably want to score the tape with a razor knife before pulling so that there is a clean break and you don't rip off any paint. You should read the can of paint which will say when you can recoat, though most acrylic paints are around 4 hours in good drying conditions. Yes, the paint can take up to a month to cure.

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
What finish for Exterior Douglas Fir Door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. I'd like to...
kisu
Sherwin Williams vs. Ben. Moore vs. Behr
Hello. I currently have Behr and SW paint in our home....
Bridget Helm
Question about repainting exterior door
The front door on my house is fiberglass, and was painted...
patriceny
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
What colour to paint/stain stairs?
We have the golden oak stairs (see pic) and are wanting...
abbabug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™