Split Level Needs Curb Appeal

belle123September 22, 2010

We just purchased this tri-level home. It has a fabulous floor plan and is in a great location, but lacks curb appeal. The home is currently painted grey with white trim, has brick that is orange and an older cedar shake roof. I would like to alter the home to create curb appeal, but lack the budget to make architectural changes (i.e. roof, driveway). My husband is handy though and could make minor changes (columns, porch railing, shutters, window boxes, etc).

My husband and I prefer a more traditional appearance but with cottage charm. Should we keep the brick natural or paint the entire home one color? Would nicer columns and porch railings help draw attention to the front door? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photos in Flickr

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oralroberts

A house is a reflection of those that call it home so it is no wonder that most people want their home to look great. Painting your home in the prefect combination of colors will go a long way to making it a place you can be proud to call your own.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 7:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Speaking as a landscaper ... remove the dying hedge between the driveway and the house. The shrubs to the left of the door look OK.

The white, tan and brick color scheme is anemic. For fastest improvement, paint the shutters, any other trim, porch columns and the garage door a rust you select from the bricks. That will make the garage door less prominent and tie the parts together.

Railings would make the porch area more emphatic, but they also restrict traffic to a skinny strip. I would make a larger entry area/path (of brick laid on sand?) that is outside that skinny concrete strip. Make it big enough to sit on, put plants on, and handle a group of carolers at Christmas.

Post this in the Design section of the garden forum and you will get some advice on improving the landscaping. For starters, like a house starts decorating at the entry hall, landscapes start at the curb.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
Storing paint for repairs/touchups
I have paint that I want to store for later use. I...
esga
Bathroom paint advice (lots of wood/almond/gold)
I need advice for my only full bathroom. Currently...
rara_avis21
Help with paint color!
My sunroom is BM Chili Pepper, the dining room is BM...
mererx
Need help picking up the right paint color for my brand new house
Hi, We must bought a brand new house and request to...
san28
Sponsored Products
Alameda Split Pea and Ivory Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$493.20 | Bellacor
Summer Infant Multiview Digital Video Monitor - 28490
$249.99 | Hayneedle
Breeze Bedskirt
$329.00 | FRONTGATE
Mahogany Dining Arm Chair
$179.99 | zulily
Home Styles Colonial Classics Pedestal Desk - Dark Cherry - 5528-18
$683.16 | Hayneedle
VIG Furniture - 575 - Modern Camel Italian Leather Sectional Sofa...
Great Furniture Deal
Briseyda Bedskirt
$262.50 | FRONTGATE
Black Dining Side Chair
$154.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™