Painting Homes with Open Floor Plans

judi82September 13, 2010

I am remodeling my kitchen and need to select a color that will complement the white kitchen cabinets that will be installed. The problem I'm having is that my kitchen wall connects with the dining room wall. The color that looks good with the new kitchen cabinets does not coordinate well with the dining room furnishings and drapes. Nor does it transition well from the dining room to the color that the living room walls are painted in. Is there a way to paint each space a different color? If so, how does one transition from one color to the next on the wall shared by both the kitchen and dining room? Photos of such applications would be appreciated.

I have also posted this message on the Home Decorating Forum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

The best way to handle this is to treat it like one large room - if the cabinets were a color that blended with the DR stuff you would be having an easier time of it.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/45843/how_to_pick_perfect_paint_colors.html is one way to deal with the problem. Start with the Dining Room drapes and find a bunch of colors that look acceptable with the drapes.
And I mean check every paint chip you can get your hands on to see what looks OK.

After the kitchen cabinets are installed - you want cabinets and countertops in there - take the chips that look OK with the DR into the kitchen and start weeding out the ones that are not OK with the kitchen.

Then you should have some paint colors that will look OK both areas.

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Valspar Paints formula change-not good
I'm a prior user/recommender of Valspar paints (e.g....
tbriggs
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™