Braeburn Apples-beautiful outside but large brown spots in flesh?

rosewitchNovember 24, 2008

This was a first for me. Yesterday I made an early trip to the store for apples to make my daughter her favorite apple pie for her birthday. I came home with the usual 8 Granny Smiths and for a change I also got 6 Braeburn apples. The Braeburns were beautiful, firm and glossy, with no blemishes. I made my pastry and as it was chilling, I started to prepare the apples. The first Braeburn I cut into had large brown spots in the flesh and there was not enough good apple to save. The second Braeburn was as bad if not worse. I stopped and called the store, I can get new apples or a refund on my next trip. I had enough Granny Smiths to make the pie.

Has this happen to anyone else? I have been making pies for years and this is the first time I have ever had this happen. Could the apples have been frozen at some point? Wouldn't that have done some damage to the skin? I am at a lost on this one.

Thanks,

kat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daylilydayzed

Those browns spots are bruises. I bet the person putting the apples in the display threw them up on it and that is how the bruises were made.

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 2:40PM
caflowerluver

I have picked apples off the tree like that. I think they are over ripe, thats why they have brown spots. Or they were last year's apples and have been in storage.
Clare

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 7:14PM
carla35

I've noticed that too on a couple of batches of apples in the last year or so. Can't recall what kind of apples they were though. I never could figure it out. If they were bruises, I would have expected at least some of the outside to show something and the pattern didn't really suggest bruising (sometimes the brown parts seemed to be coming from the inside out). I suspected them being over ripe or possibly frozen or something. They weren't really edible although they looked perfect on the outside. Disappointing.

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 8:42PM
rosewitch

Yes the apples were just perfect on the outside, no soft spots, no marks of any kind, no dents, they were perfect.

carla35, you are right, the brown areas started at the seeds and came to within about 1/4 of the skin. I was so shocked after cutting them in half.

At least my Granny Smiths didn't let me down and a couple of them got damaged by being dumped in the shopping bag at the store by the bagger.
The pie turned out great and my daughter did let me have one slice!
Thanks for trying to help me figure this out.
kat

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
I'm a corned beef virgin
I was at Sam's club today and they had nice looking...
Holly- Kay
Canning tomato juice worth it?
Hi All - I'm thinking about canning tomato juice this...
jennieboyer
Biscuit Experts
Can I substitute greek yogurt for buttermilk in a biscuit...
cactuscatie1
Need side dish idea and thoughts on dessert
I have been asked to bring a side dish for Easter -...
susan_in_nc
What can I make to go with..
Dh has a potluck on Friday. I am making red lentil...
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
Sponsored Products
Lite Source Relaxar 3-Light Polished Steel Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Emerald Home Berkeley Sofa Table - T140-2
$207.61 | Hayneedle
Wesley upholstered modern wood accent chair
Interior Define
Safavieh Paradise Resorts Dark Brown Viscose Rug (7'10' x 11'2)
Overstock.com
Peer Chaise Outdoor Patio Set of 4 in Brown Red
$1,099.00 | LexMod
Pleat Box 13 Pendant
Lightology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™