Cellular or Roman shaded?

baileyandbellaFebruary 14, 2013

Hi....we currently have 2" wood blinds throughout our house. We need something room darkening for our bedroom.

We want to also hang long curtain panels, more just for looks. I like the look of Roman shades, but it seems like those are usually just left alone and curtains are not added? I am worried that cellular shades might look too "80's".....lol.

Is one better than the other for room darkening? We will be buying ones that specifically say room darkening or blackout.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lodalady

Have you considered hanging room darkening curtains over the 2" blinds?

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 9:33PM
baileyandbella

Yes, we have tried blackout curtains. We want white and they don't block enough light, plus they let out too much light on the sides. Thanks though

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 9:49PM
bobtheblindguy

I think room darkening cellular shades work the best for blocking out light. They're still one of the best selling treatments in the 21st century. Roman shades with a black out liner are a close 2nd. If you use romans I would make them flat romans but have to be careul not to clash fabric with the drapes. here's a pic of an IM cellular. Notice light coming through at the sides. Panels will take care of that. Otherwise if they were OM less light would come through.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inside Mount Room Darkening Cellular Shades

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 11:28PM
baileyandbella

How are "pleated" shades different than cellular? I just saw these on blinds.com, and a blackout option can be added...

thanks

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 12:31AM
annzgw

Pleated are just that......pleats........as though you folded the fabric to make a fan.
Cellular, when viewed from the ends looks like cells, as seen in the pic below.

Bob is correct that light comes thru the ends of IM shades, but it will also come thru OM. Light finds it's way thru any opening!

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 2:37AM
Annie Deighnaugh

You can use side panels with a roman blind.

But for room darkening, we go with the room darkening roller shade which can be hidden up and out of the way under a window valance....that's what we do in our bedrooms. They also help keep the rooms warmer at night.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 9:27AM
baileyandbella

Annie, what brand of roller shades do you have? I always think of the junky ones that won't work....haha

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Do you have a blog?
Not sure what the houzz rules are (snicker at myself...
the_foxes_pad
Where to buy discounted upholstery fabric?
Recently purchased an upholstered accent chair from...
kaisermust
front door style thoughts??
I need to replace my older steel front door: 6 panel,...
bentap
New Rocking Chair placement
I just bought this new Risom rocker as a floor sample....
rockybird
When do bronze window frames work well in the interior of a home?
I'm replacing single plane aluminum windows. My interior...
texasgal47
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™