Okay to use water-based paint over oil-based primer?

artemis78September 11, 2011

I think the answer is yes, but wondered if someone with some experience doing this could confirm...I've made a mess of mixing latex and oil paints in the past but I think the primer is a special case, yes?

We have a lot of leftover oil-based primer (Kilz and Zinsser brands) from some older projects that I'd love to use up, but will need to cover the primer with BM water-based Satin Impervo. Will this work? If it matters, we're painting a wooden door that was last painted in BM oil-based Satin Impervo (one side) and some ancient paint circa 1920 that has now been sanded down (side that had been boarded up). I want a good primer that is going to seal that (presumably) lead-based paint in nicely since this is the door to a pantry in a house with small children, so we're wary of anything that is going to lead to a lot of peeling.

Is it safe to use the oil-based primer topped with the water-based latex in this scenario? If not, other recommendations? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tinker_2006

Yes, using latex over an oil based primer is fine! Sounds like you have preped the previous painted surface well, so over it up with your oil base primer and you're good to go.. with you BM Impervo!

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 7:26PM
artemis78

Thanks!!

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 7:56PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

It's always safe to use waterborne paints over alkyd primers.

It's also safe to use waterborne paints over clean, dull (sanded) alkyd paints, if you're using high quality acrylic enamels. For best results, read the prep labels.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™