Pix of your open shelves?

Gina_WFebruary 13, 2013

When I moved into this home, the kitchen had been remodeled a few years ago - traditional cherry, nicely done, but not my style.

Well, I had along list of stuff to remodel, and we decided we could live with the kitchen - lots of people love it, the layout is okay, and it would be very costly to re-do. Gotta pick your battles!

Anyway I am on the tail end of remodeling the master bath, closet and we added some skylights in the great room and removed some paneling and did paint. Flooring starts next week.

Since I was tiling, I took out the 6" granite backsplash in the kitchen and did some beige glossy subway to transitional-ize the kitchen and it worked pretty well.

One of the glass inserts in one of the cabinets became loose, fell and broke, so we took off the doors to that cab and have been living with it during this remodel.

Now I'm thinking that it doesn't look bad. Maybe I'll remove the hinges and put some colorful Fiesta in there and leave it open.

Can I see some of your door-free cabs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Robin Goodrich

I have been looking at Ina's kitchen for inspiration lately and it has me thinking about open shelves as well. I'm just not sure I'll know how to situate the items on the shelves to make them look pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.housebeautiful.com/kitchens/barefoot-contessa-kitchen-of-the-year#slide-2

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 8:41PM
itsallaboutthefood

When we first moved into our house, there was an awkward upper cabinet in a corner which I could not get into because after the door was opened, I had to reach around it to put anything it. We took the door off and stored our Fiestaware in it. I liked it so much that when we remodeled our kitchen I put it doorless upper cabinets for storing dishware and glasses.

Here is a picture of the one we store our Fiestaware in now. From Kitchen

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 11:49PM
Gina_W

Thanks folks.

Ina's kitchen is lovely. I'm thinking open shelving with colorful items in them would help modernize and funkify my overall look. Is funkify a word? Heh.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 5:01PM
angel411

We did open shelves, or really just the boxes without doors. :) They frame our window wall and I didn't want anything that looked heavy. I keep our everyday plates and bowls on one side. Then mostly just decorative stuff. It's easy enough to dust with a Swiffer duster and then every once in awhile I take it all down and clean it good.

Here is the other side

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 8:49AM
jenny_from_the_block

I love open cabs and shelves, some really pretty examples above. If it helps I've also posted a photo of a long stretch of open shelves in my kitchen. This area is used more for cooking stuff as opposed to dishes. I like open cabs and shelves, but then again my kitchen is a separate room so I don't have to worry as much about whether the stuff on the shelves looks organized or not :-)

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
the cabinets are coming, the cabinets are coming...
some may recall the debacle with our cabinets. delivery...
lmgch
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
99% Finished Kitchen--creamy white w/soapstone
Finally! Our kitchen is finished! I never thought the...
jbrodie
Kitchen sink: Help me find the right one!
This should not be as hard as signing in and finding...
Alma Williams
Cooktop in Island - love it or hate it?
I am leaning towards our cooktop in the island. Some...
muskoka_mum
Sponsored Products
Areca Palm 6-foot Silk Tree
Overstock.com
Bronze Floor Lamp: Crystal Leaf 69-3/4 in. Torchiere Floor Lamp with Side Light
Home Depot
Teak Folding Bar
Signature Hardware
Minka Lavery Lugarno Square Craftsman-Mission Outdoor Post Lamp
1800Lighting
Scallops Wall Art - 7W x 30H in. - PP-1060
$47.99 | Hayneedle