Army to shoot live pigs for medical drill

oceannaJuly 21, 2008

HONOLULU - The Army says it's critical to saving the lives of wounded soldiers. Animal-rights activists call the training cruel and outdated.

Despite opposition by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the Army is moving forward with its plan to shoot live pigs and treat their gunshot wounds in a medical trauma exercise Friday at Schofield Barracks for soldiers headed to Iraq.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read more

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Ever seen wounds from battlefield combat? It is not like anything else and training is sadly lacking when confined to video games. I would not like a medic who worked on me to have my injury the first 'real' case they had ever seen.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 7:12AM
archimedes

If the army wants realistic battlefield type wounds, then why don't they just go to a local trauma center, especially down in California. With all the gang shootings there won't be a lack of gunshot wounds now would there.
What about surgeons? Don't they learn on an artificial person before they actually do one on a person?
And here's a real good question I think. If they want real wounds like the ones the will see on the battlefield, then during training are they going to have some one throw grenades and shooting over their heads while they treat the pig's wound?

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 12:03AM
HandyMac

That is a good suggestion---about the live fire. I was trained by having to crawl and assault a target under live machine gun fire---along with bunkers blowing up to simulate artiullery/grenade explosions when I went through basic training in 1965.

In 1970-72, that particular training had been abandoned---too dangerous. The official reason given was it was too easy for a depressed trainee to simply stand up during the exercise and commit suicide---supposedly that had happened several times. I doubt it, since the live fire machine guns were prevented from shooting lower than 7' off the ground---kinda difficult to get shot.

The trauma room idea is pretty good also----but the gang gunshot wounds are nothing close to battle field varieties.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 11:20PM
todancewithwolves

They've been doing that for years - with greyhounds.

I wrote Barbara Bush (years ago when Papa Bush was President) about the cruelty. I received a letter, addressed from the military depart of defense, condoning it as "research". Barbara didn't even read my letter...am I surprised, NO.

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 7:56PM
buyorsell888

Are they shooting the feral pigs that are destroying some areas in Hawaii? They are a big problem, polluting streams and eating endangered ground nesting birds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawaii and feral pigs

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 10:04PM
petra_gw

Polluting streams and killing endangered birds? I guess that sort of behavior is only acceptable when humans do it.

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 10:50PM
buyorsell888

No, it isn't acceptable for humans to do it.

Humans created the problem by allowing domestic stock to run wild and breed but the terrain is so hilly and forested that shooting is about the only way they can get these pigs out of the ecosystem. There are warnings posted all along the famous Road To Hana on Maui not to drink the water in the streams and waterfalls because they are infested with e coli from pig feces....Nice!

Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 8:22PM
jodik_gw

After reading the entire article, I have to ask... is PETA joking, or what?! If left in their "capable" hands, animals would have the vote, for cripe's sake! Don't these people have anything better to do with their free time? Perhaps THEY should volunteer to be the gunshot victims in the Army's training exercise!

Most people have absolutely no idea the kind of medical trauma war brings to soldiers, and I think it's a good idea to give them as much realistic hands on training as possible before they are shipped into a war zone!

If the shooting and treating of pigs in a controlled environment is too traumatic for a soldier, he has no business wearing the uniform of the Army and going into a battle zone!

Perhaps the Army can kill two birds with one stone, and utilize the wild pigs on the island in their medical exercise...

What is wrong with people these days? Where is their common sense? Wouldn't it be much better to sacrifice a few pigs for the betterment of mankind in war situations, than to send in a bunch of untrained soldiers so more can die of wounds because they have no hands on experience in field triage?

OMG... let's all go hug a tree!

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 6:17AM
mulchmamma

If shooting some pigs to simulate battlefield trauma and life saving treatment will save our loved ones in battle, I say go for it.

PETA junk mail goes in the recycle bin in my house. There are way more rational environmental and animal rights groups out there. War is hell enough without more controversy for this group to stir up.

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 12:42PM
jodik_gw

Amen!

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 2:06PM
buyorsell888

PETA wants total liberation of all animals.

No pets, no police dogs, no meat, no leather, no fur, no aquariums, no zoos, no riding horses, no seeing eye dogs, no eggs, not even nature films.

Animals should be free and not exploited in any way by man.

Someone should tell that to Keiko, the orca whale from the movie Free Willy who was set free and.....died.

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Putting to sleep a cat that pees outside the box
Now this will surely cause a debate but I am interested...
livvysmom
My neighbors don't like me or my dogs?
Hi, I'm new here, but I really need some advice on...
FryFry
No declaw or no adoption
Here is another one to ponder... Do you think it is...
livvysmom
Ladybug landed on me but its the middle of winter
A ladybug just landed on me but its february and its...
L A
Why are dog owners such idiots?
I just can't get over how many people now own dogs....
spammypam
Sponsored Products
Farmhouse Pig Bookends - Set of 2
$27.99 | Dot & Bo
Pink Mango Pig
$47.99 | Dot & Bo
River City Clocks Metal Pink Pig with Flowers & Hearts Wall Clock - 10 in. Wide
$48.30 | Hayneedle
Pig Nonstick Pancake Pan
$7.99 | zulily
Ciccio and Melone Set of 2 Figurines by Alessi
$46.00 | Lumens