New problem

HandyMacJuly 13, 2007

Property foreclosures are going up and authorities are beginning to find abandoned animals in/around the property. I saw a report of a place in Oklahoma where about 20 horses were abandoned when the owners left--the authorities did not get out to inspect for 2 weeks. Some of the horses were so weak/malnourished, they had to be euthanized.

People can keep an eye out and stop some of that. One of my dogs would have been left that way had a neighbor not told my DIL, who took the dog in.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilod

I don't know why no one wants to talk with you about this.
I think though the problem is not all that new, it may be brought more out into the public attention by the media as they discuss the problems in the housing industry.
Folks get evicted and leave pets behind, folks get arrested and it is not law enforcement's job to look after the animals, unless it's a vicious dog threatening them.
Some people spend the summer in the country, getting a cat for "the kids" and when it's time to go home, the cat gets left behind.
As long as animals are perceived as property, the property owner often feels s/he can dispose of them at will, same as the owner can discard garments, furniture or anything else once it's not "useful" any more. It is a mind-set many havein the "disposable society"
Sad, but true.

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 5:42PM
HandyMac

I basically posted it for informational purposes. I think we all agree it is terrible, so if the informatiuon gets someone to look to see if a person left pets and calls the animal authorities---that saves an animal, maybe.

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 8:38PM
quirkyquercus

This is a good idea to be on the lookout for abandoned animals!!
This is not just something on TV. They abandon their pets like they're some kind of material property.

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 12:31PM
Gina_W

Pets ARE material property. I don't have a problem with that. But there are laws against animal negligence and in these cases, the owners should be found and punished.

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
tricky rat cannot trap help!!
So to say i have a SMART RAT in my midst is the understatment...
Bamamamma88
Should I get another dog...
Hi. I have a 13 month old dog named Jenny. Two weeks...
beamerhog18
Advice needed regarding choosing a dog breed
We presently have a Beagle, who is very good with people...
ivamae
Are pet adoption policies too strict?
I never thought they were. I have two dogs, one is...
emma1420
Putting to sleep a cat that pees outside the box
Now this will surely cause a debate but I am interested...
livvysmom
Sponsored Products
Fascination Kolorado Three-Light Pendant with Recycled Amber Bottle Glass
$299.00 | Bellacor
Couristan Everest Tabriz Oriental Rug - Harvest Gold - 3773/4874-3.11X3.11OCTAGO
$129.00 | Hayneedle
90" Round Cloth (not hemstitched)
$139.90 | Horchow
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Robert Abbey Clear Glass Base with Black Trim Shade Lamp
Lamps Plus
Harbor 6 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Peridot
$1,649.00 | LexMod
Damask Shadow Giclee Nickel 20 1/4" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
New York Giants Activo Tote