Painting Washer & Dryer....

itltrotSeptember 20, 2011

Has anyone done it? Any tips or tricks? I really want to paint my washer and dryer red. They are only a few years old and work fine but want more pizazz than just white.

DH says he can paint them in automotive paint and should be fine as long as I sand and prep them good ahead of time as well as mask off the areas I don't want painted like the control panel.

I'd appreciate any insight or information anyone has. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

Keep in mind that no home-brew method is going to give you the durable finish that is already there. Be prepared for scuffs, chips and scratches to appear quickly. The automotive thing makes me think, if you can afford it, take the parts you want painted off and take them to an auto body shop to be painted.

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 3:02PM
itltrot

I've got the inside connection on the auto paint. DH has a custom paint and restoration shop on our property so he can definitely paint it. Curious to see if anyone else had gone that route or another.

I figured there would be chips and nicks with spray paint. I've ready to use epoxy appliance paint but haven't found it in red. *sigh

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 3:17PM
Lynne Reno

I had some appliances painted at an auto paint shop, the results were remarkable and it wasn't expensive.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 12:55PM
itltrot

lynne, do you happen to have any pictures you could share? How long have they been painted? Any chips, flakes, scratches?

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 12:10PM
GreenDesigns

It will all depend on the prep that you do, as does the quality of any paint job. Then, the wear will depend on the paint used. I don't think it'd take a quart of Imron to do the job, but it's not cheap. Or, if you can take the parts apart, a powder coat is MUCH more durable. It's beyond a home powder coat oven though because of the size of the parts.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Can I use exterior latex paint in the broom closet?
I want to paint a small broom closet with paint I have...
caroline94535
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
Question about repainting exterior door
The front door on my house is fiberglass, and was painted...
patriceny
paint matching from sw to valspar
has anyone had a can of paint matched in another paint...
adoiron
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
Sponsored Products
Axa 60" Wall-Mounted Bathroom Vanity Set With Integrated Sinks by Wyndham Collec
Modern Bathroom
Malibu 36" Single Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Espresso Finish wi
Modern Bathroom
Design Toscano Chauncey the Confused Chimp Garden Monkey Statue - NE110026
$282.62 | Hayneedle
Design Toscano Hobgoblin of Harwich Manor Sculpture - NG32092
$50.90 | Hayneedle
POLYWOOD Recycled Plastic Ivy Terrace 4 ft. Bench - IVB48FBLWH
$369.99 | Hayneedle
Malibu 72" Single Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Espresso Finish wi
Modern Bathroom
Eliot Leather Bumper Chaise - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Bubbling Starry Night Canvas Wall Art by Marcus Jules - 32W x 20H in. - ART014HN
$130.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™