Should I get another dog...

beamerhog18June 7, 2014

Hi. I have a 13 month old dog named Jenny. Two weeks ago Jenny was wetting the bed at night so I took her to the vet and we thought it was just a urinary tract infection... but after a battery of tests with no positive results the diagnosis we are left with is congenital renal dysplasia. She isn't wetting the bed anymore and she hasn't shown any outward signs of feeling bad, that's why it took so long to diagnose her. I'm engaged and my fiance and i were planning to get Jenny a companion when we got married. But with her shortened life I'm wondering if i should get her a friend now, because I'm still in school and my fiance works full time. And I don't want her to be lonely. Jenny loves other dogs, I just don't want to put any undue stress on her, but I want to give her the life she deserves, even if it is short. Please, any advice on what we should do would help. She could have some good months left or she could live to maybe see 3 y/o. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annkh_nd

I would wait with another dog. Give Jenny all your time and attention now.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 12:40PM
mazer415

Here is the reality, you have an older dog, this in itself can be an issue, some older dogs don't want to deal with new pack members, they don't feel good and can get aggressive, the opposite is also true, younger dogs can be aggressive towards older sicker dogs, so you kind of are dealing with a crap shoot here. I would ask myself some hard questions, is the dog for us or my dog, does my dog get along with others? Are you willing to foster to figure that out? Are you willing to take the new dog back? Are you prepared for a dog fight? How much time do you have to be with the dogs to help supervise the integration? Do you work full time? Part time? How young of a dog? How old can the new dog be? What about training? It is a lot to consider

Bookmark   December 29, 2014 at 12:05AM
efreezee

I agree with mazer, we brought a young dog into the mix with our older dying dog and all the young dog did was mess with the older one and make her angry, sometimes she seemed like she was having fun but most of the time seemed bothered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandler Gilbert Animal hospital

Bookmark   January 12, 2015 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Vet prices in perspective
So many people whine and complain about the cost of...
LizRVT
Sick baby boer goats
I have this kid goat, and he's about two weeks old....
goats_galore_950112
tricky rat cannot trap help!!
So to say i have a SMART RAT in my midst is the understatment...
Bamamamma88
Advice on stopping hawk from killing chickens
I live on a beautiful homestead and had have free-ranging...
romycat
Polarization
It seems to me as if sometimes, people polarize themselves...
lucille
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™