Painting a metal storm door

marigoSeptember 3, 2012

I find that I must paint my metal storm door. It is a Pella door, installed in May of this year. Any advice/caveats on how to proceed-short of hiring a painting contractor-would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Hi Marigo and welcome to GardenWeb. Do you plan to remove the door from its hinges or are you going to paint it in place?

Do you have a specific color in mind? Is there paint on it now that is peeling?

If you are going to do a basic color such as white, you could buy spray cans of oil-based enamel paint for metal (Rustoleum), prep the metal as indicated on the can, tape and cover what you don't wanted sprayed and go at it.

I painted my metal gutters with acrylic exterior house paint using a brush. But something tells me that you need paint that is more durable. I used an oil-based enamel paint on some metal flashing. I applied it with a brush and had some issues with even coverage.

Let's see what the pro painters here suggest.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 4:32PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Clean, lightly sand, clean, prime with a bonding primer( Zinnsers 123) let it dry overnight, paint

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 5:11AM
marigo

Thanks to graywings and christopehrn for their responses to my question. To graywings: the door is new so there is no peeling paint to make life miserable. I just have to change the color-from "putty" to red.

I don't like spray paint-I never quite mastered it-so I will be using an acrylic paint and apply it with a sponge brush (to minimize brush strokes). Or I will hire a painter to do it for me!

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 2:25PM
Annie Deighnaugh

We had to paint our metal garage door that had a powder coat on it and the folks at BM recommended we use STYX first as a primer...it seemed to adhere it really well.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 9:04AM
More Discussions
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™