Cabinet Coat..nicks after one day?

baileyandbellaSeptember 18, 2010

I am in the process of painting my cabinets and have done it in stages (uppers first, then lowers etc). I followed Michael's directions and it has been great so far.

The last cabs to go up were the pantry doors yesterday. This morning I see 2 nicks (showing wood) near the knob.

Why is this happening and hasn't happened to any of the other cabs? Besides just touching it up, what else can I do to prevent it from happening?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baileyandbella

Oh crap.....I just re-traced my steps in my head and I forgot to sand the pantry doors....UGH

The part where the knob is is on a raised edge (I have recessed panels). Can I just redo that raised part and not the whole door?

How should I go about re-doing it? Do I have to strip?

NOTE TO SELF....don't drink beer while paiting...LOL

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 1:40PM
baileyandbella

OK...now I just went and looked closely at my other cabs. Some are also starting tiny nicks. Those I know were sanded.

I want to cry.

I have spent 3 weeks painting these cabinets.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 2:57PM
someone2010

Just a guess. It takes a few weeks for a new finish to cure hard. In the meantime, try not to stick your fingernails in the finish when opening the doors.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 4:28PM
baileyandbella

>>>>>>>>> It takes a few weeks for a new finish to cure hard. In the meantime, try not to stick your fingernails in the finish when opening the doors I have seen pictures where people use tape from behind the door, as a temporary "knob" for a few weeks. Maybe I should do that.

I have kids, and I don't think they would remember to not stick their nails into the finish. :)

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 4:36PM
ronald107

Of course, number one rule ... don't bother with anything like this until your kids are all grown up and out of the house ;-)

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 9:08AM
baileyandbella

Update....I took my pantry doors off and did them all over again.

They are drying now and will hopefully be fine.

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 9:29PM
Jbrig

How frustrating--painting, if done right, is not a quick and easy task. Prepping properly is so time consuming! I can understand how frustrating and disappointing it can be, knowing you did it *right*--and then having less than stellar results. But hang in there; you've done sooo much work, there's bound to be a light at the end of the tunnel! And please be sure to update us on this later...it's so helpful to hear about the final outcome.

Hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out!

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Any opinions on behr premium plus ultra paint?
I am considering using behr premium plus ultra paint...
texasjg
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
Painted Ceilings
What is the general consensus, or majority opinion,...
okla78
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™