Finishing Basement Stair Recommendations Needed

gle2011September 19, 2012

I live in a 1 year old home in Massachusetts and would like to finish and protect the basement stairs.

The basement is dry and I do run a dehumidifier to control the humidity level at 45%.

The stair treads are clear pine the risers are a painted white (primed wood) and the stringers are also a construction grade 2"x10" pine.

I plan on doing a light sanding to remove any surface dirt on the treads.

My questions is should I paint; stain or carpet the stairs?

I want to be sure the stairs are a low maintenance item.

There is a second refrigerator and storage shelving in the basement, so there is light traffic use on the stairs.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

I went with carpeting as to me it always feels warmer and makes the basement feel less "basement" like. Nothing says basement to me like wood stairs....especially if they're pine, covering them shouldn't be an issue....i might feel differently if they were mahogany or some such.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 9:08PM
gle2011

Annie,
If you don't mind me asking what type of carpet/pad did you use?
Thanks

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 11:40AM
ionized_gw

If they were my stairs, I would just paint them with porch/floor paint to be sure it is slip resistant.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 2:20PM
Annie Deighnaugh

No pad on the stairs and we went with a pile nylon carpet. The architect designed the stairs to take the carpet so the steps and the risers flow into the wood trim on the stairs...no need to wrap the carpet around the steps.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 5:15PM
cearbhaill

I painted my basement stairs with an exterior porch paint from Sherwin Williams- it is extremely durable and scrubbable.
Then I glued carpet treads to each one with construction adhesive. This gave me the durability and easy to clean properties of paint with the sure-footedness and traction of carpet.
I did the same thing on an outdoor porch stairway and three years of rain and snow later they still look as good as the day I did them. I am actually amazed at how well they are holding up.
I did measure and place each tread very carefully so they would look nice. I am very happy with my results.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 8:54AM
More Discussions
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™