staining banister question - stain/finish in one or not?

susanwritesSeptember 16, 2010

Yesterday I picked up some of the sample packs of Varathane stains to test the stain colors for the banister. I did a bunch of test pieces and then, once I picked the color I told the painter what I was going with and that I'd pick up the stain tomorrow for her to do the staining. And she said to get the one that had stain and top coat all in one. I don't know anything about staining stuff so I had no idea they even made that.

So what I wonder if anyone else has used those without a top coat, which is what she says she uses. Just the all in one and no top coat. She said most of the ones she does, people don't want the shiny finish so that works just fine for protecting.

Pros/cons/comments?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

In my opinion, these products are marketing gimmicks. I'm sure if there is actual poly in the stain, there will be some protection, but nowhere near the protection you would get by applying the stain and poly as two different steps, the way it is supposed to be. I prefer to use the poly as full strenth in a satin finish, two coats with sanding in between coats. Nobody likes sheen on wood? I never heard that one before.

Bookmark   September 17, 2010 at 6:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanwrites

Thanks, paintguy. I appreciate the input.

Bookmark   September 17, 2010 at 11:58PM
More Discussions
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™