Oil Based paints for shower stall?

sarahneiderSeptember 15, 2011

I am painting a mural in my bathroom that will go into the tub/shower area. there will be no tile, all paint. I already investigated marine paints,spar varnish,pool paints, rubber paint and epoxy paints. After reading here and talking to various painting contractors, I am thinking about using old fashioned oil based enamel. i am old enough to remember when that is what we always used for kitchens and baths and then we didn't think anything about it- it was what you did. period. ('course once those fabulous latex enamels came out, and well, we never looked back)

So what do you think-BM Bath and Spa? or back to the future with BM Oil based enamel. I am willing to use the oil base. It needs to last about 5 years. (I am going to hand paint and fire the mural onto tiles and that will take a while)

If this helps with your advise: I am planning to prime over the cement board, then paint an off white background, then paint the mural over that. Can you give me an idea of how much time I will have to paint the mural over the base coat before the base coat is too hard and the mural won't adhere?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

I predict a peeling mess within a year, no matter what you use, with wall damage under the paint. Those paints are not meant to take hot soapy water.

While you are creating the perfect mural, slap up a cheap acrylic tub surround.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™