painting heat ducts

halley_roseSeptember 18, 2011

Don't know where to post this for sure, so if I posted this in the wrong forum sorry.

I just bought a new house and the basement, isn't finished. We wired it,and sheetrocked it. On the ceiling there is some ugly metal heat ducts. Not sure how warm they get. They run almost the entire length of the ceiling. We want to spray paint them, with Rust-Olem American Accents stonetextured finish. It's $8.00 and we bought 5 cans to start with. It'll probably take that many more. My questions are it says it's for metal, but how will it stand up to any heat? Can we prime it with any cheap primer for metal, before we put on the expensive paint?

Thanks in advance for your help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

According to the label, that paint can be sprayed on items as long as the item is not subjected to heat over 200 degrees. Heat ducts don't get that hot.

However, it also says not to use it on galvanized metal. I don't know whether the metal in heating ducts is galvanized or not. (I think not, but I don't know.) If it is galvanized metal, you might still be able to use it if you apply a primer first.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 9:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

Unless your home is quite old, the ducts are aluminum. Yes, they will hold paint.

I recommend cleaning them thoroughly. White vinegar would be my recommendation as it will remove any remaining oil from manufacturing and not leave a soap residue.

Why spray paint? It's expensive and paint overspray will be all around. For the $40 you have invested, you can buy a gallon of quality paint from a local paint store and they can advise you about their best product.

Good luck and enjoy the new home.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
OIL BASED PAINT
Read on another thread about oil based paints being...
kashka_kat
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
BM Satin Impervo Waterborne discontinued. Replacement?
I went to purchase this today and discovered it had...
jellytoast
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™