What is the Best Way to Paint Mouldings/Baseboards?

twokidsfivedogsSeptember 28, 2008

They have existing acrylic paint and we have heard they should be redone with oil based paint since they need repainting. Is oil based the way to go and what steps would we use to do this with the acrylic paint already on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Step 1. Fire your adviser! Oil or alkyd paints are not required and no longer preferred on interior surfaces. 100% acrylic latex paints replace alkyd and offer higher performance and appearance over the service life.

Step 2. Repair any nail holes with spackle. Remove dirt and grime from the trim with a Dirtex solution. Sand to the smoothness you prefer. Brush and vacuum clean.

Step 3. Prime with a quality latex undercoat enamel such as Pittsburgh paints undercoat. Sand primed surface if needed using a #220 grit sanding sponge. Vacuum clean.

Step 4. Look for gaps between walls and trim and miter joints. Caulk with a quality latex caulk and tool with finger; wipe smooth and clean with a damp cloth.

Step 5. Choose a 100% acrylic latex enamel for the trim. Apply two coats, allowing to dry between coats.

Choose quality primers, paints and applicators for a professional finish.

Michael

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 8:44AM
twokidsfivedogs

Thanks Michael!

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 1:22PM
patrushka_ma

Thanks, Michael. I keep asking this question but it disappears. How long does it take for interior latex paint on woodwork to dry and if you use a satin or a semi-gloss, should you sand in between? Also, is it better not to paint inside on a rainy day? I am wondering why my paint always looks so flat when I want some shine to it on the woodwork and wonder if it was very humid when painting. Happy Halloween!

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
OIL BASED PAINT
Read on another thread about oil based paints being...
kashka_kat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™