Washing a wall with unknown paint?

soozSeptember 24, 2012

I'm helping out a friend's adult daughter with a "moving in" situation. She recently moved into a roommate situation and the walls in her private bedroom are a bit dirty. It looks like flat paint, rather than semi gloss but I'm not sure. It's just dirty looking. She does have permission to make it better, clean and paint.

What's the best (and easiest of course!) way to clean the walls? It's painted wallboard/sheetrock--nothing fancy.

Is there a product we can use as a spray-and-wipe thing (without having to spray with water and wipe again) that can be done quickly with all three of us working together on this?? I've used Magic Eraser but they seem to shred quickly.

Also, the paint on her door is peeling in sorta stretchy-type peeling pieces. We have leftover Zinsser primer and some leftover plain white (Snowy Egret, I think it's called) semi-gloss paint. Would that do for a quick but good fix for her door? How would we prep the door so the paint would stop it's peeling? A quick sanding to rough it up for the Zinsser, or just clean the door and put on the Zinsser primer, followed by drying time, followed by paint??

Thanks!

Smiles,

Sooz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Walls, use Dirtex.
Door needs to be stripped, as it sounds as if it is latex painted over oil.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 5:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sooz

Thanks for the input!!!
Smiles,
Sooz

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 4:21AM
More Discussions
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
Mixing Paints & Colors
I know I shouldnt do it but I always do - mix paint...
kashka_kat
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™