Exterior Paint: Duration, Superpaint, Manor Hall, or Timeless?

mwe_writerAugust 14, 2007

The exterior of our house desperately needs repainting, so we've gotten bids from a few contractors. Each one gave us an estimate for a couple of different paints of his choosing. Now, we're trying to figure out which of the paints would be best.

We live in a mostly dry desert climate that does get rain and snow in the winter. Temps range from about 5 degrees (winter) to 115 degrees (July). Sun/fading is an issue.

We'd like to keep the cost down, of course, but want to get a paint that actually lasts (unlike the stuff that's on our house now, which started peeling after just a year).

We're leaning toward one of two contractors who recommend Sherwin-Williams Superpaint or Duration, or Pittsburgh Manor Hall or Timeless. I've read quite a bit on this forum about Superpaint and Duration (most seem to like those) but not much about Manor Hall or Timeless.

Which of these paints do you recommend and why? Is the Duration or Timeless worth the extra cost over the Superpaint or Manor Hall?

(I tried posting this question before, but it apparently wasn't added to the forum. If a duplicate shows up, I apologize!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
finefinishes

I love using Manor hall timeless, Sherwin Williams has gone to making not so good products with higher price tags, ten years ago they were excellent, PPG Timeless actually does what duration claims to do. I usually disreguard the price and go for the better product. Muralo's Endure is close to Timeless also and is $5.00 cheaper to, but its your home and why not take some pride in it.
California makes a great product also, there 2010 line is very good for harsh climents (New England) mainly but still is another quality brand.
Good luck

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 10:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mwe_writer

Thanks for the advice! We're leaning toward using Timeless.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Need help picking up the right paint color for my brand new house
Hi, We must bought a brand new house and request to...
san28
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Painting stair spindles in 2 stages?
Carpet install for stair treads will be happening soon....
streno
Help pick paint colors for exterior 1902 victorian
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Bathroom paint advice (lots of wood/almond/gold)
I need advice for my only full bathroom. Currently...
rara_avis21
Sponsored Products
Crystorama Ashton Bronze 18 1/2" High Crystal Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Porter Table Lamp by Robert Abbey
$419.10 | Lumens
kaarskoker Solid 4 in. x 7/8 in. Celadon Paper Candle Covers, Set of 2 CEL-SOL-4
$6.28 | Home Depot
FontanaArte | Mano Table Lamp
$990.00 | YLighting
Kraus Crystal Clear 12-mm Thick Glass Vessel Sink
Overstock.com
Winchester Java Black Marble Pedestal Sink
Signature Hardware
Vigo 23" Bianca Single Bathroom Vanity - White Gloss
Modern Bathroom
R Series Satin Red 12-Inch Outdoor Cord Radial Wave Pendant
$89.90 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™