Paint fumes will not go away :(

srn123August 21, 2011

Oh I am so glad to find this forum. I hope you can help.

A few months ago I moved here, and the closets were painted. I do not know what was used, but the smell will not go away despite my ongoing and costly efforts. There are no windows in there unfortunately, but I have been keeping my bedroom window open, and a couple of oscilating fans have been running in there. I have tried everything to remove the odors. Weird suggestions of cut up onions, baking soda and vinegar in bowls, and even using both to clean the walls down. Lysol, bleach, soap and water, OdoBan, oxi clean, vanilla extract in a bowl. It works for a couple of hours and then its right back again.

So yesterday I couldnt take it anymore and decided to go with a tip to repaint. BIG mistake. I used glidden satin/eggshell, I tried doing one built in shelf.... man that is SO strong again.

Can someone PLEASE help me. I cant handle this anymore and Im at my wits end here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

They were painted months ago??Paint is paint and it is going to smell like paint but after months, even oil based paint smell should hve dissapated. You got me.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 5:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

Is this a Home or Apartment/Condo??

* If it's the latter, there MAY be someone to contact to find out what was used.
* If it's a HOME, contact previous owners.
* No cans left behind anywhere?!

Some possibilities:
Old paint, paint blended-off will expired paint, frozen paint blended with useable paint, etc.

Remedies:
* Sounds goofy, but see if you can literally pull off the paint layers!! If no/little prep was done, this MAY be a possibility! In THIS case, I'd try this first!!!
* Air exchange is KEY.
* Rent/buy a Dehumidifier and run it in that room for a week.
* Is there any moldy smell? Where in the home is this room?

Faron

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™