Painted Stairs

claudialina10August 22, 2010

Hi all... I'm in the middle of many major and minor reno's on my house. I have a staircase and the stairs are painted white. I'd like to add some contrast and am thinking of keeping the risers and sides white, but painting the tread a different color (and adding that "sand/grit" additive so that I don't have to put down any carpet or stair treads).

Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any photos they can share of what 2 different paint colors looks like on stairs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SheeshareeII

I think dark risers and white treads is a very classic look. I have heard about the additive but never tried it. I've always been told that carpet is far more slippy than bare wood stairs.

The link is to the stair gallery section on the decorating forum. There are lots of examples there.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: stair gallery

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 12:31PM
claudialina10

Thanks for the link! What I'll be doing, though, is not the dark stained tread and white riser... I am planning on having the riser painted white and the tread part (that you typically see stained) painted another color (likely a shade of green, to match our living room walls).

I can't find photos of that look and was wondering if anyone on here has their stairs like that - painted 2 colors?

Thoughts?

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 8:44AM
sierraeast

You might run this by the old house forum as they were pretty common on older period homes, at least in New England when I worked back there.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™