Kind of painting aluminum?

krycek1984August 21, 2010

This is posted on the Old House forum too, I didn't know which forum would be best...it is an old house:

So, I have a problem. On my front porch is a railing, and 5 posts holding the roof up. The posts are wood, with the exterior wrapped with some sort of thin aluminium veneer. It is not smooth, but ridged, much like vinyl siding is ridged.

I need to paint the posts. The problem is that I have to paint the railing bright white to match the second floor railing and the trim of the house. But the posts are off-white. It looks silly having these stupid posts be off-white and everything else is white. I could paint the railing off-white, but then it wouldn't match the balcony railing or the trim on the house.

What do I do? How do I paint an aluminum surface that 1. isn't flat 2. already has some sort of epoxy covering/paint on it? I see all kinds of guides on how to paint bare aluminium, but that's it.

Would a regular primer work? I'm confused.

I can't take the wrapping off the posts because then I'd have to take the railings off.

Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

Yes, a regular acrylic bonding primer would work just fine. You should clean the aluminum and sand it before priming. Just because the surface has some texture on it shouldn't make it much more difficult to paint.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
OIL BASED PAINT
Read on another thread about oil based paints being...
kashka_kat
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™