Re-Painting Kitchen Cabinets

two-zeesAugust 5, 2012

We are re-doing our kitchen cabinets, and have decided to go with brand new doors on the existing cabinets. We've ordered RTF doors in "antique white", and I've just received my sample door so I'm ready to match the paint and get started on the cabinets.

The cabinets are european laminated finish from the 80's, and they have already been painted once about 12 years ago with what I believe was a good quality melamine paint. However they did a sloppy job, brush lines and drips everywhere. I have started trying to sand, but because the existing paint is so durable I'm only able to dull the finish and remove the larger drips - I'm not able to completely sand out the brush lines.

I need advice on what paint and primer to use, given that I'm painting over existing paint. I initially decided to go with melamine paint, but after researching I'm not sure that's a good idea.

I've discovered Penetrol and intend to use it hoping it will help (a) minimize my own brush/roller lines, and (b) fill some of the existing brush lines. I'm not clear however if Penetrol can be added to melamine paint. Or primer.

I'm also concerned with choosing a paint that is least likely to yellow over time. And I'm looking for a matte/eggshell finish to closest match my RTF doors.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Ben Moore, Fresh Start and Satin Inpervo waterborne

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 4:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Avoid the added ingredients. They won't help you achieve a professional result. Only quality tools and expertise can do that for you.

Get the cabinets clean and dull and then follow up with the suggested paints above.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™