Sleep problems

jadenrainDecember 8, 2001

My 3 1/2 year old daughter never sleeps! OK, so I'm exaggerating, but only a little bit. My daughter wakes up, on her own, at the crack of dawn (around 6 a.m.) and she's on the go from there. She will not take a nap in the afternoon, no matter how tired she is. She could be falling asleep while she's playing or watching a video and she still won't lay down and sleep, she'll get up and run around to keep herself awake. Her bedtime is at 9 p.m., every night, with no exceptions. She doesn't actually go to sleep (or even stay in her bed) until midnight or after that. I cannot go to sleep before she does because she gets into everything and she trashes the house. I'm exhausted. Doesn't a toddler need more than 6 or 7 hours sleep? How do I get her to unwind so she can get into a regular sleep pattern?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomsmom22

I can totally relate!! My 3 year old rarely ever takes any naps, unless it's in the car, and then it's so late in the evening or afternoon, that it ruins all hopes of getting him to bed at a decent hour at night. When I do get him to his bed, it's read a story. I read the story. Then it's read another story. Sometimes, that does the trick. Other nights it's--I need water, I didn't brush my teeth (when he did!), I just want out, I'm hungry, the boogie man is in my room....the list goes on and on.
I'm not saying that this is a good thing, but sometimes letting him watch a little tv at night helps him to drift off. But, mostly, it's just reading several books and playing a game of peek a boo from his room to the hallway.
But, I know there are some nights he'd stay awake til 3 am if I'd let him!! I guess I can't blame him, both my husband and I are night owls. So maybe we need to change our habits and our son will change his.

Bookmark   December 8, 2001 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Delayed Speaking in 3 year old / Selective talking
My dd is 3 years old on Friday. I am being assured...
danmom
Best place for 2 yr old B-day party
Ok Parents....gather around and help this tired ole...
rushaheart
Did I hurt nanny's feelings?
My son (21 mos) goes to a lovely nanny who keeps total...
jollyrd
A question about baby clothing sizes
Hi everyone I'm writing to ask a question about clothing...
spedigrees z4VT
3 yr old started stuttering
I am the grandmother of a darling 3 yr old little girl....
Joiful
Sponsored Products
Travel Fresh Sleep Sack
Overstock.com
Black, White & Orange Duvet Cover & Pillowcase Set
$59.99 | zulily
Eliot Leather Single Arm Sofa - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Wolf Legacy Firm Wrapped Coil with Latex Foam Mattress - OLE1-1010
$416.67 | Hayneedle
Roll-out Trundle Unit
Overstock.com