painting or staining wood screen porch

ontheroadAugust 29, 2011

We built a screen porch with cedar. (Best part of entire additon/renovation). Do we paint it white, stain it white, or stain it natural? Or are there some other choices? And what is maintenance in upcoming years for any of these?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

It is you're porch and you're decision, maintenance will be about the same for any of them

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 5:19AM
ontheroad

In my attempt not to be "wordy," perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly enough :-)
I would be fine with any of the choices, and am more concerned about maintenance. 1)Painting it white --- when rain and dirt splashes in, as it inevitably will do, may look dirty frequently - and ultimately require more routine work. 2)Stain - requires a sealer every couple of years, I think? 3) White stain would give it a more casual look than paint, but might have same problems with dirt after rain, etc. I know that it's ultimately my decision, I'm just looking for experience w/ the different choices.
(I found this site after the fact and cringe so often when I see my prior mistakes explained on here and say "if only I'd read this before doing....." so I value the expertise and try to heed it before acting. Thanks for all your help.)

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 12:10PM
gracie01

I used Cabot semi-opaque stain on mine inside the porch and out, and I am very pleased. Second year in the midwest and it's held up well. Comes in all kinds of colors too.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Repainting recently painted cabinets
If someone could offer me some advice I'd be so very...
deever
Looking for creamy light gold paint. Anyone?
Want to paint using a really light creamy color with...
jtaime2
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Need help picking up the right paint color for my brand new house
Hi, We must bought a brand new house and request to...
san28
Complementary colors for Putnam Ivory?
Hi, my new basement is painted BM Putnam Ivory (IRL...
mom2sulu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™