Switching to whole milk

BBillingDecember 25, 2001

My pediatrician just advised me to switch my 1 y/o DS from formula to whole milk. He seems to like it okay, but he now has diarrhea. Was just wondering if this is common among children not quite ready for whole milk or if he has caught a bug from somewhere.

Thanks!

Beth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nadastimer

It could be either really. I can't exactly remember back to when we switched our son but I would consider it normal for it to take a while for your babie's body to except the change. It was the same when we had to switch formulas and things so I would consider it normal. I think some kids end up with consipation when they switch to whole milk. Just be sure you're giving your son some other fluids and things to keep him hydrated. There are bugs going around so watch for other symtoms. Either way, it should clear up within a week or less. If not, call your doctor. Your son may be lactose intolerant or something.

~Leslie~

Bookmark   December 26, 2001 at 3:38PM
ktzmom

I was advised to transition slowly. Continue formula and give 1 cup of milk a day to start and each week substitute milk for the formula.
It worked great for us.

Bookmark   December 26, 2001 at 10:50PM
LAURIE_B

you can mix formula and milk together
maybe try 2 oz milk and 4 oz formula and then gradually increase milk and decrease formula

Bookmark   December 31, 2001 at 7:35AM
MollyM

I mixed breastmilk and/or formula with 1/2 milk and gradually increased the milk percentage until my DD was on milk totally.

MollyM

Bookmark   January 3, 2002 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
4 year old won't potty train
My four year old son refuses to be potty trained. Any...
rynn01
Delayed Speaking in 3 year old / Selective talking
My dd is 3 years old on Friday. I am being assured...
danmom
Goodnight Moon cloth book
Hello A friend of mine has a cloth book with characters...
scoutcat
Safe Mattresses
I am looking for some guidance on where to buy the...
gaslight1986
Fever & Rash from MMR Vaccine?
DD had her 15 month checkup last week and got her MMR...
Karla_NE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™