What time for afternoon nap?

Adrienne_11December 9, 2001

My ds (17mo) was quite young when he moved to having only one nap. He is a very regular little guy and has slept well (except for being an early bird) for a long time. He wakes at night when he's sick or teething but otherwise sleeps fine.

Recently, he's been sleeping from about 7-7:30 bedtime til almost 7ish in the morning. He has one nap for exactly 1.5hr, around noon. This seems to work well, since he has the same amount of wake time before his nap, as he does after his nap.

When the nap moves to a true afternoon nap (1or2?) do toddlers still fall asleep well at night? Or should I continue to have an earlier nap since he goes to bed early?

Have any of you found that as your toddlers nap moved later in the afternoon, that their bedtime changed too?

Thanks.

Adrienne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poli

My daughter sleeps from about 8:30pm-8:30 am. Her nap time is around 1:30 or 2:00 now. It gradually got there, when she first dropped her am nap she'd go at 12-12:30.

Bookmark   December 9, 2001 at 3:16PM
Mommyto4

I normally put my two toddlers down for a nap right after lunch, and they normally sleep a good two hours. They have a 7:30-8 bedtime (my son insists on watching the Wheel of Fortune). I think a later afternoon nap works better for us (they used to nap around 11am) because the longer waketime in the morning playing just totally wears them out, so they take a better nap. They also sleep around 12 hours a night--except when sick.

Barbara

Bookmark   December 9, 2001 at 6:45PM
sedwa

DS (turning 3 next month) has been napping at 12 for 2 hrs for.. well, ever. recently, he's started pushing naptime out further, closer to 1 or even later. Unless he sleeps past 4 (which almost never happens) he goes to bed between 8-9 and is tired. I was going to say "without a hitch", but that would be such a lie. :)

Bookmark   December 10, 2001 at 12:18AM
Kara_PA

Adrienne -- Our guys are about the same age; DS is 17.5mo (6/29/00). He went from 2 to 1 naps sometime over the summer, before his first birthday, and it was NOT fun.

He's settled into a great routine now, though. Bedtime is 8pm; he wakes up anywhere from 7 to 8; usually around 7:30. And he naps from 12:30 or 1 to 3 or 3:30. (Sometimes longer, too, though if he's at the sitter's & still asleep, she'll wake him up at 3:30. At home, I'll let him sleep until 4 if he needs it).

That doesn't answer your question though! I have found that if he gets down for his nap early -- closer to 12 than to 1 -- that he's tired earlier. If he doesn't go down until 1:30 or 2 he generally will still wake up about the same time (3 or 3:30) but then be crabby the rest of the day and fight at bedtime. So ... I'm planning on sticking with 1 o'clock for as long as he'll nap.

Bookmark   December 10, 2001 at 1:23AM
Adrienne_11

Thanks everyone!

Adriennne

Bookmark   December 10, 2001 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Delayed Speaking in 3 year old / Selective talking
My dd is 3 years old on Friday. I am being assured...
danmom
Speech Delay?
My daughter is almost 3 years old. She talks..alot..but...
sedda
Goodnight Moon cloth book
Hello A friend of mine has a cloth book with characters...
scoutcat
Safe Mattresses
I am looking for some guidance on where to buy the...
gaslight1986
she is too demanding
First, my mom never hits me. My brother and I got into...
logan524
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™