Potty training problems

kiahlizDecember 31, 2005

My 2 1/2yr old son has shown an interest in 'going potty like daddy' but he finds it more interesting to take his potty apart and use it as stool instead. We have sat him down and showed him that it is supposed to be a potty but he continues to say "Not my potty my steps" We have even tried to put the seat part on the 'big potty' but he won't even try to use it. He will sometimes sit on the real toilet without the seat but I'm afraid he will fall in or get hurt, and he's to small to stand up because he won't use the stool he insists that's for brushing his teeth.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blackcat333

If he insists on using the potty as steps and you see that it's dangerous, lose the potty for awhile. You can buy a padded seat, I think from Graco and about $10, to go over the toilet seat. It has handles and the padded part can be popped out for washing. Just let him sit and he'll probably decide to stand on his own one day. And if there's no potty, just a stool, guess what he'll decide to use! LOL

Bookmark   December 31, 2005 at 6:09PM
awbrey

I had the same problem with my son and I bought him one of the padded seats also and he used it all the time, he was actually scared of the other potty seat. I would buy him one of thoes, he will probley use it and also buy him a plastic stool so he can climb up to it on his own.

Bookmark   January 1, 2006 at 1:42AM
lindac

If her won't use one stool to stand on....get another...or use 2 bricks...or a couple of slabs of wood....I't doesn't have to be very tall to get his working parts over the rim of the toilet...
And get a seat that fits over the big toilet.
Also try sprinkling a bit of confetty into the toilet....so he can sink it....then flush it away.
I never could understand why parents bought an extra potty chair when eventually the child has to learn to use the real facilities?...What do you do when you are out? Take a potty chair every where?
Linda C

Bookmark   January 1, 2006 at 5:15PM
kathyg_in_mi

I saw at Target that they have toilet seats with 2 sizes in one. Big hole for big "kids" and another "layer" with a much smaller hole for the little kids. Rather interesting.
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   January 4, 2006 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
My 2 year old wont stay in bed! help!
My husband and I are having major issues getting out...
courtneyp102
Tips for a long car trip with 23 mos old
We will be travelling in April by car - 1200 miles...
jollyrd
Toddler Pants: Grovia or Antsy?
Has anybody used both Grovia and Antsy toddler pants?...
SMNDP7
she is too demanding
First, my mom never hits me. My brother and I got into...
logan524
babysitting rates
I have one 17 month old son. Generally, What are the...
Ronda
Sponsored Products
Just Scentsational Recharge Scent - RS-1
$12.99 | Hayneedle
Gotz Baby Doll Basic Care Set - 3401935
$28.49 | Hayneedle
Pet Loo Indoor Yard Training System - Kitty
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Skip to My Loo Attractant
$10.50 | FRONTGATE
Princess Potty Chair
Classic Hostess