529 child investments, best state?

Nicholas EDecember 6, 2001

What state has the best 529 college investment plan? My understanding is that several can be used in different states. We live in NC. Our 11 moth old Tierney has birth money still sitting in a money market account.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michelle_MO

Money Magazine did a review not too terribly long ago about the 529 plans. I'm sorry I don't remember all of the ones they rated highly, but I do remember that the Missouri plan was one of the top 5. (I remember because I live in Missouri and it has the added benefit for me of being deductible from my state income taxes). I'd suggest doing a search on-line or at the library to find the full review in Money mag.

No matter which state you live in, you can participate in any state's 529 plan. The differences will be in the amount of fees and/or commissions they charge and on how well the money manager actually performs. But if your state collects income taxes and your state's 529 plan is deductible on your state return, that may tip the scales in their favor.

Bookmark   December 6, 2001 at 9:43AM
no_no_com

If your state has a plan, it is generally the best choice because you can deduct your contributions from you State income tax, and your capital gains are not subject to state tax.

Bookmark   December 11, 2001 at 12:30PM
euphorbia

there is a web site that compares them all side by side but i don't know the exact site. do a search on google

Bookmark   December 12, 2001 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Your kids may like veggies afterall!
I grew up thinking I didn't like veggies. As a vegetarian,...
ynnej
Tips for a long car trip with 23 mos old
We will be travelling in April by car - 1200 miles...
jollyrd
my 3 yr old daughter will not mind
Please help! My 3 year old daughter is going through...
wendolyn55
Safe Mattresses
I am looking for some guidance on where to buy the...
gaslight1986
playdates - how to relate to a "passive" mother?
I have one 2 yr old son. I am trying to have playdates...
jollyrd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™