Painting advice for great room with vaulted ceiling

greenthumb.jonesAugust 27, 2012

My husband and I have been building a house, and we are nearly ready to start painting. I have been stressing out over the great room though - although most of the rooms in the house are small, our great room is around 50 feet long and has a vaulted ceiling (around 16 feet at the top, dropping down to 8 feet on one wall). I included a picture of the room with most of the drywall in, and it will be getting texture on both the walls and ceilings. Since the room includes the kitchen, living room and dining room, I want to use either egg shell or satin paint - no matte! So, here are the questions keeping me up at night.

1) The house is straw bale, and the line between the plaster on the bales on the drywall isn't straight. We'll be filling it before painting, but it still won't have a clean line. I'd like to paint the entire great room (including the ceiling) the same color because of this. Usually, I see flat as the suggested finish for ceilings, but I feel like it would look weird to have a line where the same color paint transitions between egg shell/satin to flat ceiling paint. Can I just go all one finish?

2) We'll be doing the painting in the house, but I'm a little concerned that using a paint with a sheen (as opposed to matte) will make the marks from our rollers obvious. Is this actually something I should worry about, and if so, what is the best way to counteract it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

I'm more concerned that anything that isn't matte will show the unevenness in the wall that you talk about and make it stand out. I've had this argument with DH and the architect over the years and I've folded and gone with matte for the very reasons they state....no lap marks, reduces the impact of imperfections in the walls....

The only way I know to avoid lap marks is to paint it once and paint it well...it's when you go back over stuff to catch those areas where it's thin or didn't cover completely that you really see the sheen build up and it shows.

I don't see a pic of the room.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 7:55AM
More Discussions
Sherwin Williams vs. Ben. Moore vs. Behr
Hello. I currently have Behr and SW paint in our home....
Bridget Helm
Help with paint color!
My sunroom is BM Chili Pepper, the dining room is BM...
mererx
What color shutters for orangy brick house that will go up for sale?
Need advice, I'm a guy and I'm just not confident in...
Chris Rojas
White/cream to compliment Simply White trim?
For small hallway and bathroom. Trim is BM simply white....
randekasp
Painting stair spindles in 2 stages?
Carpet install for stair treads will be happening soon....
streno
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™