Want to repurpose 1 kitchen cabinet for sentimental reasons.

seaswirlFebruary 25, 2013

My house (the interior) was destroyed in Hurricane Sandy. My father custom built the kitchen cabinets back in 1963. He was a businessman and read books on building (he actually built the whole house). They are (were) beautiful for all these years, but since the flood, I can't really use them. I am so sad to let them go, so I thought of maybe repurposing one of them. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iowacommute

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I am very sentimental and know I would be heartbroken the things very special to me.

I don't know if it's an upper or base cabinet, but if it's a base you could have it make up one end of a desk (with a deep table top going across it with two nice table legs on the other end.

Here is another one where they made it into a sort of sofa table that is very pretty. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/before-after-re-1-156778

Here are some more pieces of furniture build out of cabinets: http://pinterest.com/dana_beam/repurposing-projects/

Here is a link that might be useful: Ideas for cabinet doors

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 7:13PM
susiemw

no suggestions here but I am so sorry for your losses and everything you have had to go through.

Susan

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 11:40PM
williamsem

So sorry for all you've lost. If they're uppers, could you hang them above your washer/dryer for storage of laundry items? Or above a flat desk area (maybe add open shelving if needed too)? Or above a workspace in a crafting or hobby area?

Hard to say without a pic. How cool that he built the house though!

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 11:54PM
ginny20

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Even though it can't be a kitchen cab, could it be used in the basement or garage? In my neighborhood, most people have cabs in the garage that were clearly from the old kitchen. I realize this isn't as sentimental as making something new and lovely, but it would keep one around for you. Or could it become a vanity?

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 10:42AM
lascatx

A single cabinet that doesn't match could be a message center, used as a bathroom medicine cabinet, in a child's room, garage -- and doors can be used in similar and other ways. You could put two bases together with a top to make a desk, two or more to form an island or a craft table/center Laundry cabinets have been mentioned.

Most of the time, people say the stuff can all be replaced, but your loss is greater than just the structure. I hope you can find a way to use at least one cabinet or possibly several doors.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
Barker cabinet samples
Does anyone have any barker cabinet samples that they're...
tigger9759
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
Seeking info on ikea kitchen cabinet discount
Ikea has their 15%/20% off kitchen cabinet sales going...
neonweb2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™