Daycare Change

Karla_NENovember 20, 2001

To make a long story short, this upcoming Monday, 11/26, my DD is starting a new daycare. She is going from a very small in-home daycare to a daycare center. (She will be a year old on 11/28). Any expertise on how she may react or deal with this change? I am sure it will be harder on me and DH than it will be on her, but I just want to know what to expect. I have talked to some mommies who say that the adjustment period can be a couple of weeks?? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ihave2p_msn_com

When I started my son out in pre-school (daycare center, about 10 kids in his class on a full day, 2 teachers) he loved it. It was so much fun for him to play with all of these kids. I started out by saying to him "ready to go and play with the kids", and he would run to the door to go to daycare. I think you might be surpised at the transition, it wasn't negative for us.
Jainie

Bookmark   November 21, 2001 at 8:50AM
jennaw_ispchannel_com

We moved to Florida a year ago when our sons were 17 months, 4 years and 6 years old. Until then they were cared for at home by a nanny. They attended a neighborhood preschool for a few hours. We switched the younger 2 to a full day preschool and the older one went to aftercare after school.

It did take our youngest child a while to adjust to being away from home during the day. It took him a few weeks to fully adjust. When I left him in the AM he cried, but when I picked him up he didn't want to leave. I think the transitions bothered him more than being in school as he was always happy and playing when I peeked in at him during the day.

Mommabear

Bookmark   November 21, 2001 at 12:48PM
karen_h_gonzalez_yahoo_com

A year old is younger than mine was... but anyway here's my story. My DD made the same change, but at 2. And at that age, she was ready for the more constructed activity of the center, as opposed to the non-activity-oriented attention at the in-home place. And she loved it - still does. She seemed to crave doing more craft-type things and playground-type stuff, which they were not doing at the in-home place.

Bookmark   November 24, 2001 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
my 3 yr old daughter will not mind
Please help! My 3 year old daughter is going through...
wendolyn55
Fever & Rash from MMR Vaccine?
DD had her 15 month checkup last week and got her MMR...
Karla_NE
A question about baby clothing sizes
Hi everyone I'm writing to ask a question about clothing...
spedigrees z4VT
My 2 year old wont stay in bed! help!
My husband and I are having major issues getting out...
courtneyp102
playdates - how to relate to a "passive" mother?
I have one 2 yr old son. I am trying to have playdates...
jollyrd
Sponsored Products
Jardin Oval Outdoor Coffee Table - Black, 42" x 24" Oval, Patio Furniture
$995.00 | FRONTGATE
Denby Heritage Pavilion Accent Rectangular Plate - Set of 4 - DENB205
$139.96 | Hayneedle
Lithonia Lighting 4 in. Recessed Matte White LED Baffle Kit LK4BPMW LED M4
$46.86 | Home Depot
Progress Lighting Pendants & Hanging Fixtures Enchant Outdoor Espresso Hanging
Home Depot
Viso | Velvet Tube Suspension Light
YLighting