Crown Molding - Chair Rail - Baseboard

empopeAugust 30, 2010

I'm planning on painting my den over the weekend. The floors are wood - an amber oak color. The baseboards and door casing are wood in a similar color. I want to add a chair rail and crown molding to the room. The above the rail will be Behr - Antique White and below the rail a little darker - maybe Haze. A friend said that the chair rail and crown should be wood like the baseboard, but I'm afraid that will be too dark / too harsh a transition. The ceilings are only 8 ft. I was thinking of painting the the rail and crown in the same color as wall below the chair rail. I would actually love to paint the base board and door casing, but my hubby loves the wood - even though it is very scratched and has lots of nail holes (LOL!) Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Welcome to GardenWeb, empope. You might try cross posting this on the Home Decorating forum. And post a photo of the room if you can.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorating

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 9:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanelewis

I have stained trim in my entire house but not one piece of my crown is stained. That would stick out like a sore thumb in rooms with only 8' ceilings. Racing stripes is the term used in rooms that have all that horizontal stained wood.

A picture would be helpful. Whatever you paint, make sure your crown and chair rail are the same color.

Are your windows painted or stained? I would assume stained. If you keep the baseboards and door trim stained, then the windows are fine to stay stained. However, you may decide to paint the stained trim once you see the clean painted trim, and if you do, your windows would also need to be painted.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
Paint color choice is holding up the job, would appreciate your help
I know a lot of people ask for paint help, here's one...
peggie123
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™