What would you call this light?

writersblockFebruary 23, 2014

Moorish? Spanish revival? The shape is kind of 20s chinoiserie, too. It must date from the 20s or early 30s. Personally I'd prefer a plain old pan chandelier or a batwing if I wanted something period, but a friend is very taken with this, and it did just come out of a cottage in the neighborhood where she's looking to buy.

But the more I look at it, the less I know what it is, other than pre-Deco/post-Nouveau.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

It looks Moroccan to me....

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:44AM
writersblock

Thanks, Annie. Anyone else have any familiarity/ideas with anything like it?

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 9:58AM
Fori is not pleased

Looks like it belongs in a silent film star's house. It really has that old Hollywood glamor Spanish thing going. Totally '20s LA. Sunset Boulevard!

(yeah I like it! But I don't know what it's called. I think you have the period correct, though.)

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 5:33PM
writersblock

Thanks, fori. It must have been a big stretch financially for anyone owning the house it came from--would love to know where they found it. I've looked through some old GE lighting catalogs and it isn't there.

Ah well. I saw a listing for a table on ebay that settled for describing it as Hispano-Moorish and I guess that's what this would be, too. Would be fun if we could track down a couple of sconces to coordinate.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:15PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Take a look here...they also sell sconces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moroccan lights

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 9:36PM
writersblock

Thanks, Annie. That's a handy resource to have, although I was thinking more of something from the same period. But if nothing shows up, there were a couple there that might work, since they wouldn't be in the same room with the chandelier.

For some reason having some vintage lighting (even if not original to the house) really cranks up the resale value on these, especially to the people who will immediately put in can or track lighting. I guess it's a humbler version of the mentaility that creates things like a Henrybuilt kitchen with a Glenwood range languishing in it.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
Dove soap users...
Have you noticed they made the bar soap smaller? I...
SheeshareeII
Do you have a blog?
Not sure what the houzz rules are (snicker at myself...
the_foxes_pad
Does your decor match your wardrobe?
In different places I see suggestions to start with...
laughablemoments
F&B to BM color closest matches
If F&B is not near you but BM is....
the_foxes_pad
Dining Room Lighting - Scale
I am in the process of remodeling my new town home....
Alex Brummitt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™