My 15 month has figured out the cupboard locks!

wicky24November 16, 2001

Hello. My 15 month son has found out how to open the locks on our cupboards. They are the kind where you have to push down on the latch and then it opens. Does anyone have any different kind of locks that work? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Adrienne_11

i use the ones that go on the outside and link your two doors together. you have to push down one part to slide it off the other parts. i like them because once ds is in bed, i can take them off and use the doors like a normal person again. my 16mo old pulls at them, but hasn't opened them yet.

Bookmark   November 16, 2001 at 12:46PM
ihave2p_msn_com

My son figured all of the plastic locks out by 18 months, including the ones mentioned by Adrienne_11. We have moved all of the "bad" things to a few higher cabinets and put a combo lock on that, and pretty much taught him not to go into the others by saying "no, no, you're not supposed to go in there". This way, if he ever goes exploring in the upper cabinets, he'll never get it open, and we have a place that is definately OOB. You can never tell what they are going to do. My son is 3 and my daughter is 16 months. She doesn't bother with the cabs or drawers because we have told her no. He, when he was younger, tried as hard as he could to get into everything. We bought all kinds of child safe locks, and he figured every last one out. He's pretty smart, and likes to explore. But, now, he has a better understanding of what is a no no. It's just when they explore. They may never go in the cabinets and then one day, all of the sudden, there they are, on a step stool, climbing up on the cabinets, pulling out the china. We just know that the chemicals are dangerous, and some other things, that's what we keep locked up. We don't want to find out the hard way that my son found the drano.
Jainie

Bookmark   November 16, 2001 at 1:30PM
Kara_PA

How about those magnetic key locks?

We keep everything that DS can't be in up high; but boy, it can be a pain when he's pulled out every pot, pan, and bag of pretzels!

Bookmark   November 19, 2001 at 10:42PM
Vickey

We got desperate and tried some unusual things. Plastic clothing hangers worked well when looped over our handles. Another thing was THICK rubber bands. The tension was too much for DS to pull off or pull the doors open.

Good Luck. Oh yes I also left the tupperware door unlocked at all times. Gave the kids a cupboard they could go into.

Vickey

Bookmark   November 20, 2001 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
terrible 3's please help
So to start off, this is about my niece. I am her nanny....
ashleykreay22
Goodnight Moon cloth book
Hello A friend of mine has a cloth book with characters...
scoutcat
A question about baby clothing sizes
Hi everyone I'm writing to ask a question about clothing...
spedigrees z4VT
Bedtime routine? What's yours
I don't think my bedtime routine for my 3 year old...
myfampg
Did I hurt nanny's feelings?
My son (21 mos) goes to a lovely nanny who keeps total...
jollyrd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™