Stain over paint on cabinets?

lovin2shopAugust 1, 2012

We upgraded our master bathroom cabinets a couple of years ago to Maple painted in a creamy white color from Sherwin Williams. The paint is now looking a bit dirty, and I am interested in giving them an antiqued finish with stain. Is this possible, and if so, what kind of product(s) would I need to use? Or is this a bad idea altogether? This is all new to me, so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jumpilotmdm

Not stain, Glaze. Check into buying some glaze at SW or similar paint store. Ask them to tint it for you in a color of your choosing [ 1/4 formula ]. This should do your antiquing nicely.
Stain has no body, and is meant to color a porous substrate like bare wood. It won't do much on a painted surface.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 5:48PM
jessicaml

I've heard of folks using gel stain for this, actually, since it's meant to sit on top of the surface rather than penetrate like normal stain. Another article I saw mentioned that 'normal' thin-bodied stains give a more realistic aged look, though, since they're thinner and less likely to go on too thick like a gel stain might. I can't offer personal experience on this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Using Minwax stain to glaze cabinets on DIY network

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 7:42PM
Faron79

People either LOVE or HATE this look....
(I'm of the latter here!)

To ME anyway, the "antiquing" looks dirty. That's just MY opinion, FWIW!
If you're gonna do it, use a Glaze made for the purpose. Dried stain on top of paint will just hold dirt. It's NOT washable.
Also, Id start just wiping-on small amounts of glaze/paint-mix...maybe just at the edges. It's easier to add more. Using the instructions in that link are fine....BUT, it can be too much change for some!

Faron

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 10:00PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wish I could help!

You can prime the surface with dead flat primer and then gel stain it for best results. Topcoat with acrylic poly if you want a sheen.

Prep is the key to a better finish. Clean, dull and primed.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™