Trying to decide on paint color for kitchen/living cherry wood

rebeccalcAugust 21, 2010

My kitchen, living, and dining area are all in one big room basically with no divisions between them. I have cherry wood cabinets, about the same color wood on my dining set, and a olivey-brown couch. I have some darker brown black wood furniture in the room as well. Currently the walls and trim are an eggshell white as the builder left them. I have been thinking about a grayish blue. I am thinking about Tinsel blue (Valspar). I think the blue could be a good balance to the wood colors, but want it to be somewhat neutral, not outright blue. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
art_teacher_mom

All of the colors you mention are very "warm".
Technically the color of cherry is orange on the color wheel so blue would be the opposite on the wheel. This would create a lot of energy and drama in the room (as opposed to serenity.)
You want to make sure the color you choose pulls the room together. Perhaps a lighter olive might do the trick?

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 10:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ceezeecz

Take a look at BM Affinity Meditation. It is a grayish olive.

It's working perfectly with my cork floor (Eco Cook in Toledo) which is a fairly deep orange, my beech butcher block countertops and cabinets in BM White Dove.

I also had my heart set on a grayish blue but I couldn't find one that didn't clash with all those warm wood tones. Very happy with the Meditation.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™