curing time for semi-gloss paint

flseadogAugust 1, 2009

The painter for our new build has just finished painting the wood shelves for our linen closets and pantry. DH said the painter recommends that we wait at least 3 weeks to allow time for the paint to cure completely. Also, he said that fiber of any type (cardboard, book bindings, etc.) will tend to stick to even completely cured paint, especially if the load of the shelf is heavy and recommended putting shelf liner down before loading up with sheets and towels.

Question 1: We're already behind schedule on moving in so I'm feeling frustrated about not being able to put things away but I don't want to mess up anything. Does 3 weeks sound reasonable?

Question 2: DH forgot to ask if any particular type of shelf liner is better than others to use on newly painted shelves and I haven't been able to get the painter on the phone. Do you have any recommendations for a good shelf liner?

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

Three weeks is about what I suggest. Most manufacturers will claim somewhere in the range of 2-6 weeks for full cure. I don't know anything about shelf liner, but I do know that when items stick to fully cured paint, you can usually just pull the item off without damaging the actual paint film.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 1:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flseadog

Thank you, paintguy. I'll try to be patient and just spend my time organizing rather than stowing everything right away. If anyone else has a suggestion on what to use for shelf lining I'd appreciate all suggestions.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Painted Ceilings
What is the general consensus, or majority opinion,...
okla78
Any opinions on behr premium plus ultra paint?
I am considering using behr premium plus ultra paint...
texasjg
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™