Stucco home - penetrating masonry stain or elastomeric paint?

dominoswrathAugust 31, 2010

We are buying our first stucco home in the midwest, and we know nothing about stucco, how to maintain it, etc.

It's a white home, we'd like to change the color. Nothing bright, just a soft hue.

What do the professionals or experienced recommend for stucco homes? Penetrating masonry stain or an elastomeric paint? Pros and cons for each?

How are the stains applied? Can you use a paint sprayer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

I would apply an acrylic or elastomeric topcoat. It is trowled on and wet brushed in tight areas. It comes in 5 gallon buckets similar to paints and you add the color of choice to the mix. If the existing topcoat is heavy textured, you will want to scrape or grind that down fairly flat for a workable surface. The acrylic or elastomeric topcoats you cant texture heavily, but you can light texture such as an "old world". It remains flexible and gives throughout the year with temperature changes and is bullet proof with little or no cracking. It's like having a rubber membrane on your walls! Here's a few links, we have STO on our build and are happy with it so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coatings

Bookmark   August 31, 2010 at 4:22PM
More Discussions
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
Paint color choice is holding up the job, would appreciate your help
I know a lot of people ask for paint help, here's one...
peggie123
Mixing Paints & Colors
I know I shouldnt do it but I always do - mix paint...
kashka_kat
paint matching from sw to valspar
has anyone had a can of paint matched in another paint...
adoiron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™