Exterior of Clawfoot Tub?

rmiriamAugust 3, 2011

I am planning on painting the exterior of my 1915 cast iron clawfoot in a matte or satin black. Has anyone ever painted a tub like this? Any ideas for the best paint? I've considered Rustoleum, and some people say you can just use an exterior latex, but any experiences would be great!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Black oil-based rustoleum should be perfect, and it will not encourage any rusting. I'm assuming it already has old paint on it. If it has been stripped, you should use red oxide primer first.
Casey

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 12:40PM
jessicaml

Using exterior latex paint indoors can cause health problems for some folks due to the higher mildewcide content. A co-worker of mine learned this the hard way.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 2:05PM
rmiriam

Good to know, jessicaml, thanks! The tub doesn't seem to have any paint left on the outside, but also isn't rusty. Rustoleum says not to use the red rusty metal primer on non-rusty metal. Is there another red oxide primer I should use? I'm going to have to do this all with brushes, as the bathtub is going to be in my very tiny and very recently decorated nursery (no, the baby won't be there - he's out of town), so spraying is not very practical.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™