book re. sleeping through the night

superbeeJuly 27, 2003

Hi,

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a book that tells you how to get your toddler to sleep through the night? DS's sleep pattern is rather erratic, he wakes up at least twice during the night and hasn't slept through the night even once since he was probably 9 months old - that was 7 months ago :-(

THanks much in advance,

Superbee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cfosscpa

Don't know of a book, but when my dr. recommended the Ferber method--not letting them cry it out, but not giving in either. Wait 5 minutes before going in, the next time wait 10, etc. until it just isn't worth the child's effort. I'm sure if you looked up Ferber on the web, you'd get lots of info. It suited my parenting style, too--lovingly consistent, letting a child know they can "count" on me, but trying not to be manipulated, etc. It seemed good middle ground stuff and it worked. I started having a problem around 9 months, too, during cold and flu season. What started out as sympathy on my part ended up as routine for DD--several wake-ups with mommy running in. Within a week, the Ferber method greatly improved everyone's sleep. She's now 2.5 and I have had to go back to it occasionally (after a vacation, illness etc.) but it's not taken more than 2 nights to get her "back on track"--with the exceptions of nightmares, of course, which do require cuddles.

Good luck and hope you get some rest.

Bookmark   July 30, 2003 at 8:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
superbee

Thanks much. I found a lot of information on the Ferber method at babycenter.com. Will read the info and then give it a try.

Bookmark   July 30, 2003 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
3 yr old started stuttering
I am the grandmother of a darling 3 yr old little girl....
Joiful
My 2 years old doesn't walk, talk due to seizures
Dear All, My little daughter now 2, started fitting...
synchrony
My 2 year old wont stay in bed! help!
My husband and I are having major issues getting out...
courtneyp102
Did I hurt nanny's feelings?
My son (21 mos) goes to a lovely nanny who keeps total...
jollyrd
terrible 3's please help
So to start off, this is about my niece. I am her nanny....
ashleykreay22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™