matching ceiling paint (patched-up holes)

bronxbillAugust 19, 2010

Ok everyone - need a little help - we took out 3 hooks from the ceiling and then looked around for the ceiling paint to just do the patches (we didn't have it) so I'm trying to just paint the patched-up ceiling holes - WITHOUT having to paint the complete ceiling. the only white paint we had was BM ceiling white which didn't match at all (we don't know what actual color white is on the wall) which is over 5 years old. I also tried to water down the BM to make it lighter but still darker then the original. any suggestion? the 3 holes are about 3X5"

(I also tried Linen white, Super white which didn't help)

Thanks much

Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

Watering down paint will not change the color....it just makes it watered down, which could make it more drippy and it will cover worse. You could try white instead of the ceiling white, but it is going to be very hard to get touch ups on a ceiling to blend in without knowing the color. Even if you knew the exact paint, it's 5 years later, and ceilings are the hardest thing to touch up because that is where all the light goes.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 8:15PM
graywings123

If your house is relatively new, say less than 10 years old, it's possible the paint on the ceiling is the original white paint the builder's paint contractor used.

Builders' painters typically use the same white paint on the ceiling as they do the walls, and they buy pre-mixed white. So that color may be on the walls in closets. Or if you know the brand of paint, get a sample of the ready mix white that the store sells.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 9:55AM
bronxbill

Thanks for the input- no it's an old house - we don't know the brands/actual white color used - Im going to run out & get some paint swatches from home depot, BM etc. maybe holding it up to the ceiling I can match it. or come real close to it. 3 small holes so maybe won't be so bad. Keep you posted.
Thanks

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
Any opinions on behr premium plus ultra paint?
I am considering using behr premium plus ultra paint...
texasjg
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™